Skoolie vs. Tiny House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skoolie vs. Tiny House

Anyone here have experience living in a skoolie and tiny house? I'd love to hear the pros and cons to both. I'm leaning more towards skoolie. Thanks!

I too am leaning more towards skoolie for the ease of transportation and just travel in general. Otherwise to me they are pretty much the same.

Comment

The only reason I'm not leaning toward skoolie is because it has an engine, and I don't want to worry about my whole house breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Having said that--I adore all the ones that I've seen.

Comment

My main reason for leaning toward a skoolie recently probably doesn't apply to most but it may be worth thinking about. Either way, for me I would need 2 vehicles: one for day driving and one capable of pulling the tiny home and a horse trailer. Living in southern California, if my home does not have its own means of transport, that would mean that the house would get left behind in a fire evac. But if someone happened to be around who could drive the skoolie out and no more people were needed to get horses out, then I would still have my house and, as a bonus, I would not have to search for my cats. They could stay in their house and their house would move them to safety while I took the horses and dog. Of course, I would without hesitation grab the animals and leave without a second glance at the house if needed.

Also, I like the fact that you already have a shell to work with in a skoolie.

Comment

Those are definitely place specific needs to consider. I plan to purchase a pickup truck to tow my own house around when I need to--but I hadn't thought about possibly needing someone else to help. Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

Hi,
            I live in a 5 window long Skoolie and love living small. I tow a 2013 Honda Fit behind it so I have transportation when I'm parked. I have not lived in a Tiny House however I did live in a 205sf apartment [+ a loft bed] before I sold my property and had the Skoolie built. I would say that the downside of the Skoolie is that even with insulation it is tough to keep it cool when it's over about 85 degrees. Mine is fully self contained with 700 watts of solar, urine diverting toilet, shower [i have never used it, I shower at the gym] 12 volt fridge/freezer, single size bed and room for 2 dog crates. I am currently searching for a Tiny House Community or Cohousing to transition to. I want roots, rather than moving around.

Comment

Working...
            X