Tiny Houses on Water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Houses on Water?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Riverlodge dimensioned floor plan.PNG Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	1669

Tiny Houses on Water?

I think that my interest in tiny houses came first from my enjoyment of boating. Unless you can afford a very large yacht living on your boat is very much like living in a Tiny Home. The more time I spent researching the Tiny Home Lifestyle and looking at Tiny Homes the more I realized that what I really wanted was a Tiny House on Water. From that realization the idea of the Riverlodge Houseboat and East Coast Houseboats was born. While this boat might be a little bigger than Tiny, the inspiration behind not only the design but the construction is very similar. Other than the fact that we have substituted a pair of fiberglass hulls for the trailer, what’s the real difference. We hope that we’re beginning a bit of a movement here at East Coast Houseboats with our goal of getting more people out on the water.

So, think about substituting that trailer for a hull, whether you choose, aluminum pontoons, foam filled barrels or like us a pair of fiberglass catamaran hulls start thinking about giving up the wheels and begin thinking about living tiny on the water. We’re starting construction on boat #1, this month with plans to launch her in August. We would love to get some feedback as to what the tiny house community thinks about our plans and efforts to bring the tiny house lifestyle to the water

Hello East Coast Boater, I live on the Cape and we have a couple of houseboats in the harbor all summer. One of them was a land cottage that someone bought and turned into a floating cottage. While I would love to live in a floating tiny house they are not suitable for year round occupancy. It would be a great way to ease the seasonal worker housing crisis though! Perhaps that is something you could look into in the resort communities along the East Coast. Best of luck in your venture!

Comment

Thanks, for the reply. I get your point about year round use. Our boats will be insulated with spray foam, residential styled double glazed windows and we plan on using mini-splits for HVAC. We plan on leaving boat 1 in the water year round here in the finger lakes region. of NYS. We are absolutely thinking about the seasonal market, hadn't thought about the problems with workforce housing though. We will be putting a boat out in Montauk as a vacation rental and boat #2 will be going to Florida for a customer looking to use it as his winter home. Love the Cape!

Comment

I love the idea of houseboats, and I think that layout is a pretty practical one. A lot of it probably depends on your location whether you could live in one year round. I admittedly don't know a lot about the logistics of living the water, but we have a lot of rivers near my home, and there are a number of houseboats that we drive by on occasion, and I often wonder what it would be like to live in one. I think a lot of the ones I see are secondary homes, though.

Comment

We are also working on a 2 bedroom layout, and we are totally sensitive about the idea of year round living. One of the reasons that we began this project was because we use our current boat as a seasonal resident. We are constantly battling with the elements trying to stay either warm or cool. The boat has zero insulation and the windows are just single pane slider types. This new boat will be built using the best of residential techniques, double pane insulated glass windows and doors, spray foam insulation, etc. The obstacles of living in this boat year round are very similar to living in a tiny house on land, dealing with your water supply for instance when the air temperature gets below freezing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Riverlodge 3d color 2 28 19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.6 KB ID:	1757

Comment

That's a beautiful design!
            Got to stay on a houseboat on Lake Mead when I was about 12 yrs old. Four adults and three kids. I picked the 'crows nest' as my spot. And now I sleep in a loft!
            One of the best memories...

Comment

I totally get that, and our love for the water comes from experiences just like that.

Comment

Working...
              X