Summer houseboat resident here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer houseboat resident here

Hi everyone! For the past 8 years I've lived on a houseboat from May through October & absolutely love it! I'm moving to Florida next year & can't decide if I will buy another houseboat (too expensive to move my boat to FL) or if I will buy a tiny house. There are lots more marinas where I could live on a boat, but easier to move a THOW when a hurricane is approaching. What to do?

Originally posted by Kara View Post
    Hi everyone! For the past 8 years I've lived on a houseboat from May through October & absolutely love it! I'm moving to Florida next year & can't decide if I will buy another houseboat (too expensive to move my boat to FL) or if I will buy a tiny house. There are lots more marinas where I could live on a boat, but easier to move a THOW when a hurricane is approaching. What to do?
    ​​
    That's really cool - I've always thought houseboats were slick. How does the motion of the water play into your experience is it just something you get used to?

Comment

There isn't as much movement as you would think. When it's very windy the boat does move from side to side but you do get used to it. But my boat doesn't "rock" like a sailboat because it has a flat bottom. It actually is rather pleasant the way it moves in the water. 😊

Comment

Gotcha! Makes sense. How about traveling around, did you go a lot of places with the boat or did you mostly just live in the dock/marina? If you're moving around is it like an RV where your stuff moves along with it sometimes?

Comment

I don't take the boat out - currently only one of the engines will start. It stays at the dock and is essentially a floating home rather than a boat. The guy who owned it before me took it out a lot (when both engines were running) but he didn't live aboard. Yes, it is similar to an RV in the sense that kitchen cabinets, refrigerator etc have latches to keep them closed while underway. But with me living on board, it would be really tough to secure everything when moving. Probably why I haven't been very motivated to fix the 2nd engine. LOL

Comment

Very cool! If you don't end up getting another houseboat to make your residence when you move to Florida, hopefully you'll find an equally comfortable and livable tiny home.

Comment

I'd say that it would be wise to consider the monthly carrying costs of both. Marinas aren't cheap. Plus the re-sell ability factor and insurance costs.

Comment

Marinas can be expensive but looking around Florida on Zillow (not affiliated with) for a possible retirement home, I have found some rather surprising quality housing options from floating houses to historic homes that are move in ready and surprisingly small budget friendly. In some cases not only the housing but the boat or golf cart included. I would say Kara has options with research and if I decide to buy in FL I am very impressed with the lake communities and cities inland rather than the coastal areas.

Comment

Working...
                X