No announcement yet.

Seniors and Tiny Home Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In New Zealand we have a severe housing shortage especially for young couples starting out and people on low incomes. I am always surprised that any scheme to help the situation refers to standard type house construction which is expensive and takes much more time. We need to change our mind set about what kind of building could be done instead. Many people of my age who cannot afford highly priced retirement villages need a small,easily kept home and the company of good neighbours when desired. A Tiny House community would be ideal.I envy the variety of Tiny Homes being built in America and the possibility of actually checking them out. The standards are also very high regarding building/finishing. They are being offered in NZ but the designs are usually boxy and built with cheap,unpleasant materials.Prices are still high though.

Comment

Have you heard of Bryce Langston of https://www.livingbiginatinyhouse.com? I believe he's from Australia, but has traveled around the world, done workshops & other events, which is where I met him in Pink Hill, NC when he came in as one of the speakers. There I found the TH I wish to build--along with friends & family and using mostly salvaged/used materials, which greatly reduces the costs. The model I chose has a loft with stairs, rather than a ladder plus an option for when necessary to live on main level.
      I, too, am a senior, retired, but working pt to add to my savings in order to build a THOW, which should be in two years.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	CornerCouch.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	1310

Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1311

Comment

Here's how it becomes a bed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti Bed.jpg
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1314

Comment

Originally posted by gingervista View Post
          Here's how it becomes a bed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti Bed.jpg
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1314
          This is beautiful and practical!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne Maguire View Post
            In New Zealand we have a severe housing shortage especially for young couples starting out and people on low incomes. I am always surprised that any scheme to help the situation refers to standard type house construction which is expensive and takes much more time. We need to change our mind set about what kind of building could be done instead. Many people of my age who cannot afford highly priced retirement villages need a small,easily kept home and the company of good neighbours when desired. A Tiny House community would be ideal.I envy the variety of Tiny Homes being built in America and the possibility of actually checking them out. The standards are also very high regarding building/finishing. They are being offered in NZ but the designs are usually boxy and built with cheap,unpleasant materials.Prices are still high though.
            I do know of Bruce and follow his very good informational work.

Comment

that is the beauty of tiny houses, you build them custom to you and be realistic with your needs afterall you will be the one living in it. i think starting with a deckover style trailer that is over the wheels is the perfect trailer foundation and having a downstairs bedroom and id go with a 10ft wide trailer as well and have a deck with a nice ramp up to it. I also think you desire for the specific appliances are great!

Comment

I am a cook & baker & I absolutely love the THs that have full kitchens, even if appliances are 3/4 size. No reason to give up your kitchen if it's what you want!

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

My choice of appliances has more to do with memory loss and preferring appliances that turn off via timer and are flameless than anything else. Since I neither need them nor want them, I can use the money and space for other things. Also, my arthritic knees don't handle standing and stirring for any appreciable length of time, so the things I cook are more limited and a slow cooker is a good idea. Weight is a battle, so baking is not something I do anymore either. I'd rather use some of the fun, new recipes in a cup for the microwave. Then I have a single portion and don't have to fight temptation about a larger batch.

I'm sure other people who read this forum will be happy to know about the smaller appliances, though. They may have other concerns than mine. And I will look around for smaller size fridge and freezer and washer and dryer.

Comment

Thailand may be an origin of the concept, though we are very interested in OP's problematic bathroom for seniors. Here is one in Portland that could be scaled down to the size of a closet, much more in line with the Japanese intelligent use of space:

Tiny Bathroom
                    https://houzz.com/photos/677807/Tiny...hroom-portland

Comment

Thank you. The gray-water cistern is interesting too.

Comment

What one could add to the cistern concept is solar, roof-top heating. There may be problems converging pump pressure with solar's gravity flow, but the idea seems worth pursuing. In addition, a custom-fit non-slip rubber mat could be rolled up and placed in a mild bleach vat for sanitization and then rolled back out on the bathroom floor. This would help prevent pesky things such as athlete's foot.

Comment

When I lived in Egypt a long time ago, people used a sort of tape that wrapped around a water pipe and plugged into the wall outlet. It could be turned on then would heat the water for showers, laundry, etc. Has anyone tried such a device? Are they even available here? Solar hot water is a good idea, but maybe not on its own in northern Wisconsin.

Comment

Solar would be challenging here in southern Wisconsin, though in summer a coiled black-hose system would do pretty well, and better for washing than cold tap. It would save somewhat if not tapping the main water heater, though at a certain point gravity-feed starts to get problematic structurally.

Comment

Working...
                            X