Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loft or Main Floor Bedroom?

Hi all!
    This seems like a silly question but the more tiny homes I’ve walked through I realize how tiny the lofts seem to be. I’m not claustrophobic at all but I do want to be comfortable when I settle in for the night. Also the stairs to most lofts are usually ladders or odd sized stairs. I can totally see me waking up late one night to visit the ladies room and ending up on my rear end. Ha! I feel like the smartest way to go would be to stay on the main level.

I know this forum is new but I hope any of you that joined and see this post will chime in on your experience. ESPECIALLY if you LIVE in a tiny house. Or maybe someone who builds them could share what most of their clients choose for their home. I’ve been looking for some time now and am curious to hear if I’m the only one obsessing over where I sleep at night.

I attended the Tiny House Show in Denver over the weekend and took pics of a few of the bedrooms. I was shocked to see a few main floor master bedrooms. One in particular was more of a split-level home (never seen one like it before) and the bedroom was awesome. Unless you’re super tall you could stand up completely and like the signage says there was enough room for a queen or king bed. There were maybe 3 or 4 steps up to the bedroom and they were “real” size steps (even had pull out storage drawers in each one). Honestly it has been my favorite layout so far.

Anyway, love to hear your thoughts!!

(these 2 pics are of the same room, just a slightly different angle in each - I'm the worst at taking photos when it's in a crowded tiny house environment )
    Click image for larger version

Name:	main-floor-bedroom-split-level-tiny-house-02.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	124

Click image for larger version

Name:	main-floor-bedroom-split-level-tiny-house-01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	125

I am not in a tiny house, but my house is under 500 square feet and at 54, with hip issues, going up and down stairs or a ladder would be a big issue for me. My cabin is one floor. I've had to get inventive to keep everything where I need it, but it works for me. So yes, if you think you might fall down the stairs during the night I would definitely go with a main floor bedroom, or do like the one young man in a youtube video I watched and put your bed on a pully system so it can be raised to the ceiling during the day.

Comment

I only want to live on one level. Access to your bed and tv at a moments notice are number one priorities in a small living space. Use the loft/ roof area to store all your clothing. I use two rolling suitcases and many duffel bags. Carabiners are your friends. Keeping all your clothing in closed containers keeps them laundry fresh and no kitchen cooking smoke and smells get into them. I agree with you that stairs are dangerous, especially in the dark. The longer you live, the less you want to be negotiating stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Norma View Post
        I am not in a tiny house, but my house is under 500 square feet and at 54, with hip issues, going up and down stairs or a ladder would be a big issue for me. My cabin is one floor. I've had to get inventive to keep everything where I need it, but it works for me. So yes, if you think you might fall down the stairs during the night I would definitely go with a main floor bedroom, or do like the one young man in a youtube video I watched and put your bed on a pully system so it can be raised to the ceiling during the day.
        Hi Norma, Thanks for the feedback. I can understand your health issues and you definitely need to stay put on the main level. I'm 42 years old and have always had knee issues. So every day stairs are hard for me sometimes. Plus I don't like the idea of having the ceiling inches from my head at night. It would be nice to sit up and be able to read a book. Your super cute doggy avatar reminded me of my dog, which would make loft sleeping even more difficult. I can't imagine not having my dog to cozy up to at night. lol.
        A pulley system seems dangerous and definitely a gadget that could break. I need things simple.
        I've got lots of things to consider before committing to a particular setup.
        Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by JETWAKE View Post
          I only want to live on one level. Access to your bed and tv at a moments notice are number one priorities in a small living space. Use the loft/ roof area to store all your clothing. I use two rolling suitcases and many duffel bags. Carabiners are your friends. Keeping all your clothing in closed containers keeps them laundry fresh and no kitchen cooking smoke and smells get into them. I agree with you that stairs are dangerous, especially in the dark. The longer you live, the less you want to be negotiating stairs.
          I couldn't agree with you more. Bed, TV, refrigerator, microwave and bathroom all within a few steps. Now that's living!
          Thanks for the tips too. It seems you would have a ton of storage space in the typical loft areas if you're doing all your "living" on the main floor.
          Ok, I think I'm pretty sure I'll be sleeping on the main floor. No need to break any bones for no reason, right? haha.

Comment

I like how beds are set up in shepherds huts and Gypsy caravans Lots of storage under the bed

Comment

Hi. I am currently in the design phase. Having my bedroom on the main floor is a priority for me. I want to be able to walk around my bed to make it. I also want a living area, all in 28 ft. I want a loft for my grandkids and visitors. One tiny house I toured had the bed on the floor, under a low loft, with a living area above it. I did not like having to crawl to bed and climb steps to my living area.

Comment

Hi Everyone. I'm Linda, age 65, experienced camper and working on down sizing for tiny home living. I've also seen a few models with slide out beds and while I think they are great for creating space, I'm no longer interested in "rolling" into or out of a bed only a foot off the ground. We still tent camp, but take Aerobeds with us and it makes a huge difference. We also want to have our bedroom on the main floor - no midnight slips down a ladder or stairs for us.

We are planning on a tiny house on a foundation, so I think we will have more flexibility for a one level 480 sq.ft. home.

I like the idea of a pulley system platform for storage and we are also taking advantage of electronic books to minimize our book storage. We have found free book sources, and take advantage of the local library ebooks.

Comment

We have four people sleeping in our house, and we make use of a loft and a main floor bedroom.

If your planned house size permits it, I definitely recommend a main floor bedroom in addition to a loft space. It will give you more flexibility down the road even if you do decide to sleep in the loft, and the bedroom area can be used for other purposes if you choose not to sleep there.

Our loft has a four-foot flat ceiling, and it's not too bad for maneuvering in, but I don't know if I would like to go too much shorter than that myself. I can't count the number of times I have tried to stand up without thinking and hit my head! It can also be quite a workout to make the bed. I do love having the loft space available, though, and we do use it for sleeping.

All of that said, our house is not very mobile (it's a park model), so issues of transportation and mobility are not a concern for us. We haven't moved it in ten years. A main floor bedroom does require a bigger footprint for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by joannjoubert1 View Post
                    I like how beds are set up in shepherds huts and Gypsy caravans Lots of storage under the bed
                    I’m not familiar with the setup of shepherd huts or gypsy caravans. I’ll look those up! See, I’m already learning something. 🤗

Comment

I am in total agreement regarding a main floor bedroom & I have seen some nice designs. I live part of the year in a houseboat with a half height berth (similar in height to a loft). Personally, I love the half height because it feels cozy. When I crawl into bed at night it feels like I'm in a cocoon. 😊 But I can understand that it might feel claustrophobic to some also. For those who do sleep in lofts, I can suggest (odd as it sounds) a chamber pot. It's much easier than climbing up & down at 3am! And it really isn't as gross as it sounds. LOL

Comment

I know that a chamber pot with an airtight lid prevents odors. I also believe that a bathroom would generate too much humidity in a tiny house. So when I build, a bathroom will be a shower house/compost toilet outside

Comment

I've seen Murphy beds in some as well and considered it, then, like Linda, thought about having to raise or lower it, and decided it wasn't for me lol
                          Norma

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMarie View Post
                            Hi. I am currently in the design phase. Having my bedroom on the main floor is a priority for me. I want to be able to walk around my bed to make it. I also want a living area, all in 28 ft. I want a loft for my grandkids and visitors. One tiny house I toured had the bed on the floor, under a low loft, with a living area above it. I did not like having to crawl to bed and climb steps to my living area.
                            I agree with you 100% on the "crawling around to make my bed". It's not only uncomfortable, it's dangerous. I'm in the same phase as you. Actually more of a "before the design phase" lol. I'm gathering intel and making my list of "dos and don'ts". Is nice to hear from so many different people and their personal experiences. I did recently see the perfect floor plan and I'm trying to find out who made it so I can share it. Although I do believe it was a super big model. It had the main floor master and an actual living area. It honestly felt like a traditional home layout. I'll dig around until I find it.
                            Good luck on the design process!

Comment

Originally posted by TinyHouseGirl View Post
                              Hi Everyone. I'm Linda, age 65, experienced camper and working on down sizing for tiny home living. I've also seen a few models with slide out beds and while I think they are great for creating space, I'm no longer interested in "rolling" into or out of a bed only a foot off the ground. We still tent camp, but take Aerobeds with us and it makes a huge difference. We also want to have our bedroom on the main floor - no midnight slips down a ladder or stairs for us.

We are planning on a tiny house on a foundation, so I think we will have more flexibility for a one level 480 sq.ft. home.

I like the idea of a pulley system platform for storage and we are also taking advantage of electronic books to minimize our book storage. We have found free book sources, and take advantage of the local library ebooks.
                              Hi TinyHouseGirl
                              I've seen the roll out beds too. They seem awesome at first glance (I've never actually used one) but now that you bring it up I don't want to roll in or out of bed either. I have seen a lot of the Murphy beds and those seem like a really great idea. Again, I've never slept in one of those either. I did speak to a Murphy bed retailer at the last Tiny House show I attended and she told me the beds are the full mattress and aren't folded or creased when you put them away. So you don't have that metal bar in your back at night (think of a sofa bed situation). So that seems like it might have potential.
                              We've been using electronic books forever now and got rid of all of our old books - I was amazed and how much space they take up. And we didn't have that many books compared to the typical book enthusiast.
                              Keep us updated on your tiny house progress and what you end up going with! It's almost like I want everyone to build their tiny house, tell me what they do or don't like and I can build the perfect house based on everyone else's mistakes. haha. Is that horrible? 😬

Comment

Working...
                              X