X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Suzfrog View Post
    I have two lofts in my tiny house. One is my storage loft and one is my sleeping loft. I love sleeping in my loft. It's both comfy and cozy. love the fact that it gives me more room downstairs. My house is 128 sq feet. I have stairs up to my sleeping loft and use a ladder to access my storage loft. I've been in many tiny houses with only downstairs bedrooms and no lofts. It feels much more cramp to me. The hardest part for me in a sleeping loft. Is making the bed. :0)
    We'd all love to see and hear more about your tiny house story. I'd love to have you post your story and some photos of your tiny house in our SHOW AND TELL sub forum. If you need any help getting started or have any questions at all please feel free to contact me using the CONTACT US form and I'll be more than happy to assist!

Leave a comment:

• Suzfrog
    replied
    I have two lofts in my tiny house. One is my storage loft and one is my sleeping loft. I love sleeping in my loft. It's both comfy and cozy. love the fact that it gives me more room downstairs. My house is 128 sq feet. I have stairs up to my sleeping loft and use a ladder to access my storage loft. I've been in many tiny houses with only downstairs bedrooms and no lofts. It feels much more cramp to me. The hardest part for me in a sleeping loft. Is making the bed. :0)

Leave a comment:

• NorthernSoutherner
    replied
    Originally posted by SmallHomeFamily View Post

I like the idea of a desk that hides away with everything still on it!
    That is what we have! It's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• NorthernSoutherner
    replied
    We had these concerns as well; it was a challenge for a couple of reasons. The loft bedrooms allow you to feel like you have a lot more space. We are 45 and 49 and my husband has had back surgery and has bad knees. I have a blown out knee from a snowboarding injury and I have psoriatic arthritis. We thought about it long and hard and we decided that having the space is what made the Northern Southerner livable for us. We are not 'tiny' people either and that was a concern as well. We want to be able to maneuver without feeling like the other person is always in the way. (We also both work from home and need workspace). The perfect compromise for us was to build a staircase to the bedroom loft and have the ladder for the media loft. The media loft has never been an issue for access for either of us. My husband's concerns about mobility and safety are long gone. He loves going up there for his midday nap! ☺️
    The stairs are essential for those late night trips to the bathroom. I think the bigger question is will we need a handrail on the steps at some point. 🤔
    Our ultimate plan is IF we are unable to move around the tiny house at some point we will switch to a park model home with a first floor bed. At this point we feel that's quite a way off. 👍🏼
    p.s. I honestly feel having to move around in the lofts has improved my husbands mobility!

Leave a comment:

• Betsy-TinyCircles
    replied
    Originally posted by joannjoubert1 View Post
    I have changed my dream to a teardrop with a "ground floor" outside kitchen, outside living room, shower/outhouse. Technically not a tiny house, but it leaves a small footprint. This will be an affordable "tiny house" for being on SSI.
    I've definitely thought about this choice too...keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• joannjoubert1
    replied
    I have changed my dream to a teardrop with a "ground floor bedroom" outside kitchen, outside living room, shower/outhouse. Technically not a tiny house, but it leaves a small footprint. This will be an affordable "tiny house" for being on SSI.
    Last edited by joannjoubert1; 06-17-2019, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tiny House Basics
    replied
    i think it is totally preference, We really do love our loft, it fits our king beds and is 12ft deep. which leaves alot of space on the downstairs. if you do a ground floor bedroom i would do a 10ft wide tiny house trailer and a deckover style so you have a much larger footprint

Leave a comment:

• SmallHomeFamily
    replied
    Originally posted by Betsy-TinyCircles View Post
    I'll add my thoughts about living in a tiny house all on one level - I love it! My tiny is 8x24sqft with 3 separate spaces - living rm/kitchen, bathrm as walk thru (w/ regular door on kitchen side & sliding barn door on bedroom side) & bedroom.
    it is a tiny bedroom but I'm living on my own & don't need even a double bed...twin size suits me fine.
    I'm having a murphey bed/hidden desk built w/ horizontal orientation so it fits along one wall. The hidden desk rises ready for use when bed is folded up & lowers when bed is open (it's under the bed). You leave your stuff on the desk - very convenient!. This bed/desk leaves space for a bedside table, tiny armoire, chair & basket for Xtra linens, etc...and room to move around! I'll post photos when the bed is done. Tiny closet (11"xabout 24") shares wall with barn door - I roll most of my clothes & store in several baskets (3 shelves), w/ room to hang up a few things & a laundry basket.
    I like the idea of a desk that hides away with everything still on it!

Leave a comment:

• Betsy-TinyCircles
    replied
    I'll add my thoughts about living in a tiny house all on one level - I love it! My tiny is 8x24sqft with 3 separate spaces - living rm/kitchen, bathrm as walk thru (w/ regular door on kitchen side & sliding barn door on bedroom side) & bedroom.
    it is a tiny bedroom but I'm living on my own & don't need even a double bed...twin size suits me fine.
    I'm having a murphey bed/hidden desk built w/ horizontal orientation so it fits along one wall. The hidden desk rises ready for use when bed is folded up & lowers when bed is open (it's under the bed). You leave your stuff on the desk - very convenient!. This bed/desk leaves space for a bedside table, tiny armoire, chair & basket for Xtra linens, etc...and room to move around! I'll post photos when the bed is done. Tiny closet (11"xabout 24") shares wall with barn door - I roll most of my clothes & store in several baskets (3 shelves), w/ room to hang up a few things & a laundry basket.

Leave a comment:

• Javacat
    replied
    Originally posted by Hippie Steph View Post

I'm 42 years old and have always had knee issues.
    I have knee issues as well, and while sleeping in a loft is great for space (with lots of headroom), getting up and down stairs or a ladder would be difficult when my knee is acting up...

Leave a comment:

• SmallHomeFamily
    replied
    Originally posted by vicki-fl View Post
    I am rapidly approaching a level of disability that will prevent me from using stairs in any substantial fashion. I also need a truly luxurious sleeping chamber. I want room, frilly stuff, access. Hmm. I'm really going to have to

Hi Vicki, you may want to look into a Tiny Home built on a Gooseneck Trailer. We spent a 3 day weekend in one and really loved the bedroom. It was only 3 wide easy steps up from the main floor and had a ceiling height that allowed us to stand up and I’m 6’ tall. I have a bad back from 4 spine surgeries along with arthritis & fibromyalgia. My wife and I both felt this was a nice long term solution for us. An earlier post in this thread showed pictures of her Gooseneck Bedroom where her teenage son lives. Good luck with finding your Tiny Solution.
    I've seen some beautiful bedrooms in gooseneck trailers!

Leave a comment:

• Spiney
    replied
    Originally posted by vicki-fl View Post
    I am rapidly approaching a level of disability that will prevent me from using stairs in any substantial fashion. I also need a truly luxurious sleeping chamber. I want room, frilly stuff, access. Hmm. I'm really going to have to do some research for that!
    Hi Vicki, you may want to look into a Tiny Home built on a Gooseneck Trailer. We spent a 3 day weekend in one and really loved the bedroom. It was only 3 wide easy steps up from the main floor and had a ceiling height that allowed us to stand up and I’m 6’ tall. I have a bad back from 4 spine surgeries along with arthritis & fibromyalgia. My wife and I both felt this was a nice long term solution for us. An earlier post in this thread showed pictures of her Gooseneck Bedroom where her teenage son lives. Good luck with finding your Tiny Solution.

Leave a comment:

• Nanci
    replied
    I am personally a 1st Floor Fan! Even if you can get over possibly hitting your head every time you try to go down your ladder or stairs, then you have the issue of traversing a ladder or stairs. Not sure about you but I would be totally awake at that point, there would be no going back to sleep for me. So I suggest you keep your First Floor Bedroom. Plus, noone knows what the future holds, you could hurt your knee and have it in a brace or some other ailment that would make the middle of the night descent impossible. And you don't want to wait until you are stuck in a loft and need to use the restroom with a huge brace on your leg, trying to figure out how you are going to get down to the bathroom before you decide to really think hard about a First Floor sleeping area. Food for thought. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors.

Leave a comment:

• blondeambition3
    replied
    I recommend a good 'futon' couch by day, bed by night... simple solution for ultra tiny spaces. I personally don't find lofts appealing.... it would just be a hassle making the bed and that's something that NEEDS to be easy to do... at least for me. (lol) My tiny space came with a full sized bed, but I'm thinking about removing the full sized bed and going with a Futon as that would free up a little more space for me... who needs a full sized bed in a tiny space?

Leave a comment:

• Beckster
    replied
    I was thinking the same thing myself! I would need the bed on the main floor for sure! And maybe use the loft for a walk in closet! Because I want a decent sized closet! Or perhaps a game room so I could set up my computer with a little surround sound, and I could put my guitars up there too! Tons of possibilities for the loft space!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X