Loft or Main Floor Bedroom?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hippie Steph
    started a topic Loft or Main Floor Bedroom?

Loft or Main Floor Bedroom?

Hi all!
    This seems like a silly question but the more tiny homes I’ve walked through I realize how tiny the lofts seem to be. I’m not claustrophobic at all but I do want to be comfortable when I settle in for the night. Also the stairs to most lofts are usually ladders or odd sized stairs. I can totally see me waking up late one night to visit the ladies room and ending up on my rear end. Ha! I feel like the smartest way to go would be to stay on the main level.

I know this forum is new but I hope any of you that joined and see this post will chime in on your experience. ESPECIALLY if you LIVE in a tiny house. Or maybe someone who builds them could share what most of their clients choose for their home. I’ve been looking for some time now and am curious to hear if I’m the only one obsessing over where I sleep at night.

I attended the Tiny House Show in Denver over the weekend and took pics of a few of the bedrooms. I was shocked to see a few main floor master bedrooms. One in particular was more of a split-level home (never seen one like it before) and the bedroom was awesome. Unless you’re super tall you could stand up completely and like the signage says there was enough room for a queen or king bed. There were maybe 3 or 4 steps up to the bedroom and they were “real” size steps (even had pull out storage drawers in each one). Honestly it has been my favorite layout so far.

Anyway, love to hear your thoughts!!

(these 2 pics are of the same room, just a slightly different angle in each - I'm the worst at taking photos when it's in a crowded tiny house environment )
    Click image for larger version

Name:	main-floor-bedroom-split-level-tiny-house-02.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	124

Click image for larger version

Name:	main-floor-bedroom-split-level-tiny-house-01.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	125

• Tiny House Basics
    replied
    i think it is totally preference, We really do love our loft, it fits our king beds and is 12ft deep. which leaves alot of space on the downstairs. if you do a ground floor bedroom i would do a 10ft wide tiny house trailer and a deckover style so you have a much larger footprint

Leave a comment:

• SmallHomeFamily
    replied
    Originally posted by Betsy-TinyCircles View Post
    I'll add my thoughts about living in a tiny house all on one level - I love it! My tiny is 8x24sqft with 3 separate spaces - living rm/kitchen, bathrm as walk thru (w/ regular door on kitchen side & sliding barn door on bedroom side) & bedroom.
    it is a tiny bedroom but I'm living on my own & don't need even a double bed...twin size suits me fine.
    I'm having a murphey bed/hidden desk built w/ horizontal orientation so it fits along one wall. The hidden desk rises ready for use when bed is folded up & lowers when bed is open (it's under the bed). You leave your stuff on the desk - very convenient!. This bed/desk leaves space for a bedside table, tiny armoire, chair & basket for Xtra linens, etc...and room to move around! I'll post photos when the bed is done. Tiny closet (11"xabout 24") shares wall with barn door - I roll most of my clothes & store in several baskets (3 shelves), w/ room to hang up a few things & a laundry basket.
    I like the idea of a desk that hides away with everything still on it!

Leave a comment:

• Betsy-TinyCircles
    replied
    I'll add my thoughts about living in a tiny house all on one level - I love it! My tiny is 8x24sqft with 3 separate spaces - living rm/kitchen, bathrm as walk thru (w/ regular door on kitchen side & sliding barn door on bedroom side) & bedroom.
    it is a tiny bedroom but I'm living on my own & don't need even a double bed...twin size suits me fine.
    I'm having a murphey bed/hidden desk built w/ horizontal orientation so it fits along one wall. The hidden desk rises ready for use when bed is folded up & lowers when bed is open (it's under the bed). You leave your stuff on the desk - very convenient!. This bed/desk leaves space for a bedside table, tiny armoire, chair & basket for Xtra linens, etc...and room to move around! I'll post photos when the bed is done. Tiny closet (11"xabout 24") shares wall with barn door - I roll most of my clothes & store in several baskets (3 shelves), w/ room to hang up a few things & a laundry basket.

Leave a comment:

• Javacat
    replied
    Originally posted by Hippie Steph View Post

I'm 42 years old and have always had knee issues.
    I have knee issues as well, and while sleeping in a loft is great for space (with lots of headroom), getting up and down stairs or a ladder would be difficult when my knee is acting up...

Leave a comment:

• SmallHomeFamily
    replied
    [QUOTE=Spiney;n1162]
    Originally posted by vicki-fl View Post
    I am rapidly approaching a level of disability that will prevent me from using stairs in any substantial fashion. I also need a truly luxurious sleeping chamber. I want room, frilly stuff, access. Hmm. I'm really going to have to

Hi Vicki, you may want to look into a Tiny Home built on a Gooseneck Trailer. We spent a 3 day weekend in one and really loved the bedroom. It was only 3 wide easy steps up from the main floor and had a ceiling height that allowed us to stand up and I’m 6’ tall. I have a bad back from 4 spine surgeries along with arthritis & fibromyalgia. My wife and I both felt this was a nice long term solution for us. An earlier post in this thread showed pictures of her Gooseneck Bedroom where her teenage son lives. Good luck with finding your Tiny Solution.
    I've seen some beautiful bedrooms in gooseneck trailers!

Leave a comment:

• Spiney
    replied
    [QUOTE=vicki-fl;n1121]I am rapidly approaching a level of disability that will prevent me from using stairs in any substantial fashion. I also need a truly luxurious sleeping chamber. I want room, frilly stuff, access. Hmm. I'm really going to have to

Hi Vicki, you may want to look into a Tiny Home built on a Gooseneck Trailer. We spent a 3 day weekend in one and really loved the bedroom. It was only 3 wide easy steps up from the main floor and had a ceiling height that allowed us to stand up and I’m 6’ tall. I have a bad back from 4 spine surgeries along with arthritis & fibromyalgia. My wife and I both felt this was a nice long term solution for us. An earlier post in this thread showed pictures of her Gooseneck Bedroom where her teenage son lives. Good luck with finding your Tiny Solution.

Leave a comment:

• Nanci
    replied
    I am personally a 1st Floor Fan! Even if you can get over possibly hitting your head every time you try to go down your ladder or stairs, then you have the issue of traversing a ladder or stairs. Not sure about you but I would be totally awake at that point, there would be no going back to sleep for me. So I suggest you keep your First Floor Bedroom. Plus, noone knows what the future holds, you could hurt your knee and have it in a brace or some other ailment that would make the middle of the night descent impossible. And you don't want to wait until you are stuck in a loft and need to use the restroom with a huge brace on your leg, trying to figure out how you are going to get down to the bathroom before you decide to really think hard about a First Floor sleeping area. Food for thought. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors.

Leave a comment:

• blondeambition3
    replied
    I recommend a good 'futon' couch by day, bed by night... simple solution for ultra tiny spaces. I personally don't find lofts appealing.... it would just be a hassle making the bed and that's something that NEEDS to be easy to do... at least for me. (lol) My tiny space came with a full sized bed, but I'm thinking about removing the full sized bed and going with a Futon as that would free up a little more space for me... who needs a full sized bed in a tiny space?

Leave a comment:

• Beckster
    replied
    I was thinking the same thing myself! I would need the bed on the main floor for sure! And maybe use the loft for a walk in closet! Because I want a decent sized closet! Or perhaps a game room so I could set up my computer with a little surround sound, and I could put my guitars up there too! Tons of possibilities for the loft space!

Leave a comment:

• vicki-fl
    replied
    I am rapidly approaching a level of disability that will prevent me from using stairs in any substantial fashion. I also need a truly luxurious sleeping chamber. I want room, frilly stuff, access. Hmm. I'm really going to have to do some research for that!

Leave a comment:

• numberninja
    replied
    I was thinking of going with a sleeping loft but after staying 2 nights in a tiny house, loft without dormer but it had a sky light, I found out that I really am claustrophobic. I thought well I just need to have a dormer loft with lots of windows but then health issues hit and that was a game changer for sure. Now I'm in the process of designing a single level tiny house. Because I don't want my house to be over 24' long I'm going to have a murphy bed.

Leave a comment:

• Nicdance
    replied
    I also want my bed on the main floor of my tiny house on wheels, which is in the design mode right now. I am older and do not want to climb ladders or stairs in the middle of the night. Stairs would be good for a storage loft or bed for the older grandchildren.

Leave a comment:

• Spiney
    replied
    My wife and I stayed in 3 different Tiny Homes over 2 extended weekends. I’ve had 3 serious back surgeries and a failed neck surgery. So for me I like sleeping in a loft but require stairs and not a ladder. My wife and I are in our Mid 50’s and once we build or buy we hope to live in our Tiny Home for many years. Both weekends that we stayed in a Tiny Home it rained and we loved listening to the rain on the roof and looking out the windows from there. Got used to the low ceiling right away.

Leave a comment:

• TinyHouseGirl
    replied
    Thank you so much 💕

Leave a comment:

Working...
X