Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entertaining in your tiny house? Is it possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertaining in your tiny house? Is it possible?

Hi Tiny House friends!
    I'm not a huge party thrower but I do like to have friends and family over every now and again. For those of you that are living in a tiny house or may have friends who live tiny how do they accommodate extra bodies? I'm guessing most of the time using outdoor space is the only way to entertain but what about in the cooler months or bad weather?

I've seen great tiny house designs using outdoor spaces but when the weather is crappy I'm not sure what ya do. Again, I'm not talking about a big party. Obviously there are limitations. I'm thinking of having max of 6-8 people over for the day. I also understand that this might not even be doable.
    This is another one of my "Pre" tiny house build questions. I'm still perfecting my "what I must have" in my final tiny house draft. It's always nice to hear others ideas.

Thanks for any help!
    ✌🏻

We aren't really "entertainers," but we have done two events that I can think of in our small home. The first was an open house buffet, and we set up food in the kitchen and opened both doors (we have a standard door in the back and a sliding door in our living room near the front of the house. Then we set up a table and chairs outside and had seating in the living room as well. People were able to walk through the house to get food and then visit either outside or in the living room, and it worked really well. That was in May one year.

We did another smaller party in January one year, and we just set up a bunch of chairs in our living room and used the loft for extra space to hang out as well. We had five or six friends over plus the two of us. It was tight, but it worked out fine. We were all in our 20s or early 30s, and no one had kids yet, for the record.

It's definitely easier to entertain with nice weather and good outdoor space.

Comment

we entertain all the time, here is a group of 12 friends we just had over for a BBQ. By having the large 8ft bar on both sides of the 8ft accordion window it really opens up our space and makes it easy to interact with friends. We can have people over in the cold weather or the warm months like pictured above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.04.43 AM.png
Views:	76
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1391

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHomeFamily View Post
        We aren't really "entertainers," but we have done two events that I can think of in our small home. The first was an open house buffet, and we set up food in the kitchen and opened both doors (we have a standard door in the back and a sliding door in our living room near the front of the house. Then we set up a table and chairs outside and had seating in the living room as well. People were able to walk through the house to get food and then visit either outside or in the living room, and it worked really well. That was in May one year.

We did another smaller party in January one year, and we just set up a bunch of chairs in our living room and used the loft for extra space to hang out as well. We had five or six friends over plus the two of us. It was tight, but it worked out fine. We were all in our 20s or early 30s, and no one had kids yet, for the record.

It's definitely easier to entertain with nice weather and good outdoor space.
        Thanks for sharing your “entertaining” tiny house experiences. I wouldn’t consider us as entertainers either but I did want to hear about other’s experience with more than a few guests in their small space. We also don’t have kids and plan on never having any. 😝 Strangely most of our friends don’t have children as well. We have a dog as our child. haha.
        I do enjoy being outdoors and can really see that being the best way to entertain while living in a tiny house. As for the cold weather months or yucky weather days we’re lucky our friends and family are super casual and wouldn’t mind sitting anywhere (floor, loft, countertop) so maybe I’m making this into an issue that really isn’t a big deal.

Thanks again for sharing! It’s great to hear from someone who is actually living the tiny life.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny House Basics View Post
          we entertain all the time, here is a group of 12 friends we just had over for a BBQ. By having the large 8ft bar on both sides of the 8ft accordion window it really opens up our space and makes it easy to interact with friends. We can have people over in the cold weather or the warm months like pictured above.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.04.43 AM.png
Views:	76
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1391

I love the setup you have here. It looks perfect for entertaining!

Comment

In the few months since I moved into my THOW (25X8sqft, 1 level) I've enjoyed having multiple lunches & evenings w/ up to 4 friends inside...which isn't a large group but has shown me that my friends all marvel at & really enjoy the unique tiny space dynamic even if things get a bit cozy! I imagine this would be true in a slightly larger tiny with more people... sharing our passion & new lifestyle is all part of the fun as we creatively 'grow' into being a community of family & friends with at least a dimension of tiny living included.
            Some go away chuckling at my perceived eccentricity but not a few have gone away inspired!

Comment

Hippie Steph Great question! I've actually wondered about the same thing. I'll definitely be following this discussion. Hopefully more people will post about their experience as it relates to your question.

Comment

SmallHomeFamily Wow that looks like a lovely party! Everyone looks comfortable like they are having a great time! I think that's the key to entertaining in a Tiny House: utilizing your outdoor space. Hippie Steph I found this great Video of a Tiny House in New Zealand (I think):

They have put together an incredible outdoor space so that when they have guests over they don't have to feel crammed. Plus this (Not so) Tiny Home innovates with one of the coolest cat doors I've ever seen. I love cats and I think that it would be awesome to have something like this no matter what kind if home you had.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny House Basics View Post
                  I really love the design or your “indoor/outdoor” space. That is definitely a feature I will put on my tiny house “dream board”. The bar you have you inside looks like a good length. But I like areas to sit back and relax for everyone that’s at my home. Like I mentioned I don’t see having any issues hosting small groups when the weather is great. I do see issues with bad weather or the cold season (I live in Colorado). Getting two tiny houses and connecting them together to accommodate more people defeats the purpose of the tiny lifestyle, right? haha 😂 Thanks for sharing your super cool house!

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy-TinyCircles View Post
                    In the few months since I moved into my THOW (25X8sqft, 1 level) I've enjoyed having multiple lunches & evenings w/ up to 4 friends inside...which isn't a large group but has shown me that my friends all marvel at & really enjoy the unique tiny space dynamic even if things get a bit cozy! I imagine this would be true in a slightly larger tiny with more people... sharing our passion & new lifestyle is all part of the fun as we creatively 'grow' into being a community of family & friends with at least a dimension of tiny living included.
                    Some go away chuckling at my perceived eccentricity but not a few have gone away inspired!
                    Hi Betsy, I think 4 people is probably a perfect “max” number of humans to entertain inside a tiny house. I do think your guests find the entire experience fun and maybe question whether or not they want to dip their toes into the tiny house movement. I’ve always been fascinated by the tiny house lifestyle especially since it’s been getting more and more coverage online and on TV. It wasn’t until I stayed in two different tiny houses at a tiny house resort did it make me realize how little we really need to ‘live’.
                    It’s so nice to hear that your entertaining experiences have not only been enjoyable but inspiring to others. Thanks for sharing! ❤️

Comment

You're welcome, Steph. Thanx for sharing your tiny '''ah ha" moment too! It takes a community and we all benefit hearing each person's different adventures!
                      One guest asked me if I liked playing with doll houses when I was little.little and in fact - I DID! And I had a whole gang of my "little guys" (an odd assortmentvif stuffed animals, plastic trolls, etc) who kept my imagination busy & me always feeling like I had company!

Comment

We love to entertain! We have had groups from 4-35 come for a visit. We did base it on a good weather forecast. I starting cooking a few days in advance. We have portable decks as well, so that those who don't like sitting in chairs in the grassy areas can sit above ground.😂 I understand this because in TX there are some scary little things that I don't want anywhere near me. We have enough chairs for 6 people and a picnic table. So we asked most of our guests who were coming for the BIG party, to BYOC! Everyone was happy to bring their own comfy chair! We put the food outside on folding tables, all lined up, with table cloths and flowers. It was cute. We had a table for board games and a corn hole toss, horseshoes, etc. Hubby started a huge fire in our pit and he worked the BBQ. Put out an outdoor speaker and we have a really nice built in sound system that we can control with our iPhones. (All adults). Some people brought wine, others brought a dessert. Everyone stayed until after dark.
                        The biggest challenge was we only have one bathroom, obviously, but that worked out fine.
                        Parking was on the grass.

Name:	2FCsw0lfT6iMzK0bEs7IiA.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1605

Comment

Wonderful fun! I can almost smell the BBQ! Thanks for the photo too.

Comment

I love the idea of hosting a get together like a BBQ. However, since we live in Maine, this would limit our ability to show hospitality to just the warmer months of the year. Probably more like June through September.
                            As a family of four, we take up most of the room in our current living room which contains a large couch and a large armchair. How do you comfortably hang out together in a tiny house in a single room and how could we add more people into the scenario for entertaining?

Im thinking this could work if it was a foundation built structure under 500 square feet but I can’t see this working at all in a classic movable tiny house. And ideally, I’d much rather purchase a pre-built tiny house than go through the headache and stress and expense of managing the building of a new structure on a foundation. We have friends that tried to do this in an effort to simplify but the whole process has taken a couple years that kept them so preoccupied that it really was the opposite of simplification. Or is that the best we can expect?

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sondic View Post
                              I love the idea of hosting a get together like a BBQ. However, since we live in Maine, this would limit our ability to show hospitality to just the warmer months of the year. Probably more like June through September.
                              As a family of four, we take up most of the room in our current living room which contains a large couch and a large armchair. How do you comfortably hang out together in a tiny house in a single room and how could we add more people into the scenario for entertaining?

Im thinking this could work if it was a foundation built structure under 500 square feet but I can’t see this working at all in a classic movable tiny house. And ideally, I’d much rather purchase a pre-built tiny house than go through the headache and stress and expense of managing the building of a new structure on a foundation. We have friends that tried to do this in an effort to simplify but the whole process has taken a couple years that kept them so preoccupied that it really was the opposite of simplification. Or is that the best we can expect?

Thoughts?
                              Honestly, I really think that having kids complicates entertaining in a tiny house. I don't personally have a problem with that since we're not really into entertaining, and I know that there are PLENTY of exceptions, but when your house is already pretty maxed out with occupants, there's really just not room for entertaining indoors sometimes.

I do think that you need to think of "room" a little differently in a tiny house, though. Not everyone will be able to sit on the couch and the chair. Kids might need to sit on the floor. Someone may be standing. Others might sit on stairs or dangle their legs from the loft depending on your layout.

As far as your last question, I think (legally) building a home on a foundation is a pretty big undertaking in most locations these days regardless of size, and having a tiny home built for you by a reputable and experienced tiny-house builder is going to be less of a headache overall. That doesn't mean either way is better. It's just a different process. Even with ordering our home fully built, though, the whole process took us nearly six months from the first time we visited the dealer until the day we moved into our home because we had to prep the site where we were going to park it, and we opted to do as much of that labor ourselves as we could, and the weather didn't always cooperate.

Comment

Working...
                              X