Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Contest/Giveaway Ideas For June/July 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contest/Giveaway Ideas For June/July 2019?

Hello Everyone, last night I announced the winner of the "Free Tiny House Vacation Or $600 Cash" contest we held in May. Below is the announcement I made in that post:

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    CONTEST WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT:

Before we announce the winner of the contest I'd just like to express that I can't help but to be disappointed with the level of participation we've had during the course of this contest. I know that personally, if I had the opportunity to win $600 for making a few posts on a forum over the course of more than a month I'd be all over it (less than one post a day).

That being said, I'm here to serve this community and would like to ask for your feedback as to why there was such a low level of participation for this contest as well as your suggestions for future contests. Everyone here is part of the community and in order for it to thrive we need your feedback and most importantly your participation.

That being said, there were only six people on the entire forum that had 30 or more posts over the course of the contest. Those users were: Betsy-TinyCircles, blondeambition3, milesregina, Saintmason, SmallHomeFamily, Tiny House Basics. I would like to thank you all for your participation in the contest. Unfortunately, of those six people that did post 30 or more times during the period of the contest there was only one who met the requirement to have a minimum of 50 words in 30 posts or more. Therefore, that individual is the winner by default as they were the only one to meet the contest requirements.

And the winner is: Saintmason In addition to winning the Grand Prize he will also be awarded the $100 Bonus Prize for completing his profile in accordance with the contest requirements. Saintmason, Congratulations and I'll be in touch via e-mail to get your details so that we may award your prize.

Although, I am disappointed with the level of participation for this contest I do want to thank everyone who did participate and all of those who have been supporting this forum since we launched. I sincerely want this community to be a one stop shop for everything related to the tiny house movement and I cannot do that without the participation of the community.

As mentioned earlier I am completely open to hosting another contest that will encourage posting on the forum so I'm asking for everyone's input on potential contests that would get you excited about posting here. Please feel free to make your contest suggestions here in this post and thanks again to everyone who did participate!

Finally, I'd just like to say that it has been a true pleasure getting to know many of you via this forum over these past two months based on your posts and I look forward learning more about everyone here.
    Instead of submitting your ideas in the old contest post I'd like to have your input here. Again, please remember this is YOUR community but you must foster it in order for it to thrive. With that said, I'd like to get some feedback to the following 2 questions so that I may better serve this community:

1. Why did you chose not to participate in the contest we held last month giving away $600? Your open and honest feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. What would you suggest for a contest/giveaway for June/July? Just throw out whatever ideas you have that would get you excited about posting here!

If I can get a number of people answering these two questions it will help me to mold this forum into the type of community that you want it to be. So please don't be shy and take a moment of your time to address these questions.

If for whatever reason you prefer to only answer one or the other of these two questions that's fine. However, the more information you can provide the easier it will be for me to make this forum the type of place you want to spend time getting to know other members like yourself who are also interested in the tiny house movement. Thanking you in advance for your contest/giveaway suggestions for June/July.

Question #1: I did not participate due to my feeling that someone would be more in need than myself, that's me! Not because I am rich in cash,most in family love and friends.
    Question #2: I would suggest that a contest/giveaway would be most appreciated by a person(s) that is in need. Possibly mid-age and/or senior, maybe even a Vet in need. Thank you, Cyndi

Comment

I posted last night why I haven't been posting, and it's nothing to do with this community. I was actually excited about it, then life hit and pulled the rug out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grammy Cyndi View Post
        Question #1: I did not participate due to my feeling that someone would be more in need than myself, that's me! Not because I am rich in cash,most in family love and friends.
        Question #2: I would suggest that a contest/giveaway would be most appreciated by a person(s) that is in need. Possibly mid-age and/or senior, maybe even a Vet in need. Thank you, Cyndi
        Thank you for your input Cyndi. I have no problem helping those in need and I'm not only an advocate of volunteerism, I'm a practicing volunteer on two fronts. As a veteran myself I know there are other vets out there who have it pretty bad and I'm part of a veterans outreach program that assists veterans who are having difficulty integrating back into civilian society. I'm also a huge dog lover and volunteer at our local shelter and have fostered several dogs in the past.

That being said, the objective of a contest/giveaway for this forum is not intended to be altruistic in nature, rather it is for the benefit of growing this forum and expanding this community. The contest/giveaway has to be focused on rewarding those who post to the forum on a regular basis and support this community by actively participating here.

Any contest/giveaway should be centered around awarding a prize to someone who has actively posted to this forum over a certain period of time. In other words, the contest should be merit based, not need based. The winner should be selected from a group of people who actively post to the forum.

Again, I'm all for volunteering and donating both financial and manpower resources to a good cause however the purpose of a new contest is to grow this forum, it is not intended to be a philanthropic venture. But thank you for actively participating and answering both of my questions!

Comment

From my point of view, a big part of the struggle was trying to find 30 things to post about or reply to without feeling spammy, especially at the beginning of May when there wasn't much traffic at all. I remember telling my husband about the contest and how hard it was to interact when there weren't many people to interact with at the time. I'm glad that part of it improved by the end of the month.

I do think the 50 word requirement made it harder because a lot of things I wanted to reply with were not really that many words, and, again, adding more words just for the sake of qualifying for the contest didn't feel right to me on a personal level if I had already written what I had to say. That said, at some point I did completely forget that 50 words was a requirement, though I do remember reading that in the beginning once it was pointed out after the fact. I really gave it a lot of thought wondering why a number of us (who were clearly trying to meet the rules of the contest) neglected that part, and the best answer I can think of personally is that we were instructed to look at our post count to keep track of our progress, and that's what I fixated on myself even though the rules were pretty clear about what was required. A month is a long time to remember the details I guess!

I think for a future contest, anything requiring a certain number of posts that meet certain qualifications might be difficult for people to keep track of, and anything that is difficult for people to keep track of probably won't end up having a high participation rate. I'm impressed that anyone did it this time, actually! (Way to go @saintmason!) When I think back to what I would have needed to do to make sure I had the right number of posts that had the right number of words, my head starts to spin a little, and I start to think that I don't have time for that. Ha!

(I am a little curious how you added up all the posts that met the criteria. Did you go through one by one and count them? Or do you have that information available on the backend?)

I wonder if smaller, more frequent contests might get people coming back to the site on a regular basis in a way that is easier for people to manage? Such as doing a giveaway every week of, say, a $10 or $20 Amazon giftcard? Possibilities might be to fill out your bio one week or tell us what your favorite type of tiny house is or any number of questions that require an actual response in order to get an entry for the contest. Maybe even a chance to enter for a prize for sharing the forum through social media, etc.? Those are my best ideas at the moment.

Thanks for doing all this!

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHomeFamily View Post
            From my point of view, a big part of the struggle was trying to find 30 things to post about or reply to without feeling spammy, especially at the beginning of May when there wasn't much traffic at all. I remember telling my husband about the contest and how hard it was to interact when there weren't many people to interact with at the time. I'm glad that part of it improved by the end of the month.

I do think the 50 word requirement made it harder because a lot of things I wanted to reply with were not really that many words, and, again, adding more words just for the sake of qualifying for the contest didn't feel right to me on a personal level if I had already written what I had to say. That said, at some point I did completely forget that 50 words was a requirement, though I do remember reading that in the beginning once it was pointed out after the fact. I really gave it a lot of thought wondering why a number of us (who were clearly trying to meet the rules of the contest) neglected that part, and the best answer I can think of personally is that we were instructed to look at our post count to keep track of our progress, and that's what I fixated on myself even though the rules were pretty clear about what was required. A month is a long time to remember the details I guess!

I think for a future contest, anything requiring a certain number of posts that meet certain qualifications might be difficult for people to keep track of, and anything that is difficult for people to keep track of probably won't end up having a high participation rate. I'm impressed that anyone did it this time, actually! (Way to go @saintmason!) When I think back to what I would have needed to do to make sure I had the right number of posts that had the right number of words, my head starts to spin a little, and I start to think that I don't have time for that. Ha!

(I am a little curious how you added up all the posts that met the criteria. Did you go through one by one and count them? Or do you have that information available on the backend?)

I wonder if smaller, more frequent contests might get people coming back to the site on a regular basis in a way that is easier for people to manage? Such as doing a giveaway every week of, say, a $10 or $20 Amazon giftcard? Possibilities might be to fill out your bio one week or tell us what your favorite type of tiny house is or any number of questions that require an actual response in order to get an entry for the contest. Maybe even a chance to enter for a prize for sharing the forum through social media, etc.? Those are my best ideas at the moment.

Thanks for doing all this!
            This is pretty much my response as well!

Comment

I joined the Forum too late for this contest. To be sure one has 50 words, you have to either count them or paste from Word. Both are a big nuisance.

I endorse the notion of shorter contests and like the Amazon gift card idea. For some things, you could award several small-amount cards. Maybe they give a discount for such things.

I also thank you for your efforts--they are appreciated and the Forum will grow.

Comment

Hey everyone! Thanks for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it here and we're looking forward to organizing something new that will be exciting to participate in based off off your feedback. I wanted to point out a few things in general based on the few responses I've seen so far.

In terms of Post Count, your post count is underneath your Avatar/Username right in the thread. Right above the "Share/Tweet" buttons. This would've given you an indication of how many posts you currently have on the site. And yes SmallHomeFamily while we do have backend capabilities to check post counts, it's also viewable on the forum for everyone. Also anyone who's user title is now "Member" has made at least 30 posts.

For word count, we will take your feedback into consideration. When coming up with the word count, we felt 50 words was roughly the amount of words your average person would use to respond to something, and would prevent simple one liners and short nonsense posts which I don't think help anyone on the forum. In other words, we felt if your response was a genuine reply, the 50 word count would be a non issue as it's such a small number.

For example, the reply in this thread by SmallHomeFamily is 511 words! . 10 times as many words as you'd need for a counting post. <- The last two sentences I typed were 24 words. The first paragraph of my response here, is exactly 50 words. So 2 to 3 sentences didn't seem at the time as something that would be difficult to manage for individuals responding genuinely to posts. Obviously now, we have more information to go on and we will think this over to make it more accessible for everyone.

If we provided a way to keep track of your qualifying post counts on the site itself, would that help in terms of participation? Also, thanks for your contributions to the last competition and as Chuck mentioned the ultimate goal of our competitions is to serve the Tiny House community as a whole by creating an atmosphere of engaging conversation!

Comment

Thanks for all your efforts in putting this site together and encouraging others to take advantage of the great information shared here. I'm not hugely into social media (gave up Facebook several months ago), and live as simply as possible, including not a lot of time on this computer. Do this enough at work!

#1, I didn't participate because I don't pay a lot of attention to many emails, including anything related to contests! If I were in a huge need for $$, I suppose I would have paid more attention. Honestly, I've found that I rarely win any contest!
                  #2, Not sure. Now that I've logged into the website and have read and responded to some of the posts, I'll likely be back and would possibly consider entering a contest. Give this some time and more people will participate.

Comment

Life happens...people get busy and despite good intentions forget or can't think of words to post. Myself it was life stress & good attentions falling by the wayside.

Comment

I agree with Small Home Family. I often felt that trying to post 50 word responses for the sake of it would make my posts disingenuous. It was difficult so I ended up not posting at all. That being said,I would have loved to win as I am trying to save enough money to spend a week in September in a tiny house in Mabou,Nova Scotia. I would like to see more contests with a bit more flexibility in the length of posts. I am happy to be a part of this forum!

Comment

Yes, I think that having a place on the site to keep track of qualifying posts would help quite a bit. The post count under your avatar isn't really helpful if not all of your posts qualify towards the contest.

Comment

I obviously misunderstood the rules, not realizing that 30+ posts were required with a minimum of 50 words each. That being said, I'd never have been able to comply with that, since I'm not a big 'talker' anyway and am a person of few words. For me, I'm SURE I would've been able to put 50 words together, but not in 30 posts! That's just not me.

Comment

The information was aggregated via a backend database query and then since we had so few people with 30 posts or more we also manually confirmed the database query results.

I wonder if smaller, more frequent contests might get people coming back to the site on a regular basis in a way that is easier for people to manage? Such as doing a giveaway every week of, say, a $10 or $20 Amazon giftcard? Possibilities might be to fill out your bio one week or tell us what your favorite type of tiny house is or any number of questions that require an actual response in order to get an entry for the contest. Maybe even a chance to enter for a prize for sharing the forum through social media, etc.? Those are my best ideas at the moment. Thanks for doing all this!
                            SmallHomeFamily I welcome the feedback of all members to anything discussed here. Remember, I'm here to serve this community in any way I can however without your feedback and participation that'll be a pretty tough task to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by crystalvernon View Post
                              Thanks for all your efforts in putting this site together and encouraging others to take advantage of the great information shared here. I'm not hugely into social media (gave up Facebook several months ago), and live as simply as possible, including not a lot of time on this computer. Do this enough at work!

#1, I didn't participate because I don't pay a lot of attention to many emails, including anything related to contests! If I were in a huge need for $$, I suppose I would have paid more attention. Honestly, I've found that I rarely win any contest!
                              #2, Not sure. Now that I've logged into the website and have read and responded to some of the posts, I'll likely be back and would possibly consider entering a contest. Give this some time and more people will participate.
                              Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you appreciate the forum and hope to see you as an active participant here. Regarding social media, I've found that these platforms have way too many competing agendas and drama. My goal with Tiny House Forum was to build a site centered exclusively around the tiny house community where we could all learn from each other and establish friendships (both on-line and in real life) without all the background noise associated with most social media platforms. In other words, I wanted to build a "real" community with the sole goal of bringing awareness to the tiny house movement and connecting those involved in that movement.

Comment

Working...
                              X