Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Contest/Giveaway Ideas For June/July 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthernSoutherner View Post
    So happy for the winner. Congrats!

1. My honest feeling is that once I entered I saw the extent of the posts needed to stay engaged in the contest and then I quickly turned my attention to other things. Our reality is we both work from home and have a lot of other responsibilities that take priority, including an unexpected medical diagnosis. I also volunteer a minimum of 36 hours a week, spend about 75% of my days making long drives, and have my own social media to keep on top of (as I run my own business). We are also embarking on moving our THOW across the country and we have a lot of boxes to tick to make that happen on schedule. So, we are a little stressed. But this stress is something I'm happy to share in a post! lol
    I appreciate the idea of what you are building and I will contribute as much as I can, when I have something of substance to contribute. I don't want to be just a part of the 'noise'.
    I agree with many of the previous posts in regards to the specifics around size and frequency of posts feeling a little demanding. I literally had just joined the forum the day you posted the contest, and I still needed time to figure out how to log in, navigate and get to know what it was all about. Because I have been living in a 32' THOW for 3.5 years already I believe that maybe I wasn't as motivated by a Tiny Vacation or the $600. (We are living debt free and have a very stable financial situation).

2. Possible alternative contest ideas could be around "information". Let me explain. I think the biggest hurdle for people wanting to go 'tiny' is they don't know where to begin. They will contact people like us and ask a lot of questions but they don't really know what to do first, or how to kick-off (i.e. what kind of trailer to buy; how did you find your parking spot; what are the challenges of living in a specific climate; should I self-build or contract out). Or if they are living tiny already and they haven't fully executed their dream because they are at a plateau and they don't know how to move forward (i.e. how to get debt-free; how do you go off-grid; what is permaculture gardening and why would I be interested in it; how did you create a safe water catchment system; a forum on how to MacGyver your way out of a drama-filled malfunction while living in a rural area). They need real HELP and maybe a little handholding. This might be of more value as they could get a "consultation" with an expert on say, 'windows' or 'solar energy' and this way they can make a plan or a purchase that they have been putting off out of fear of the unknown. For me, that would be a huge benefit over just cash.

I appreciate the forum and all of the people making a difference in trying to create a community. We are really excited to see more resources for people and ways for folks to get the answers they need. We know from experience that the dedicated time and research is needed for each person, but everything we can do to make it easier, is a gift. Keep up the good work.
    Focusing on the suggestion for HELP from experts, I've been thinking thru what other forums I participate in & what makes them successful. Expert input is definitely a factor. We aren't by any means the blind leading the blind...but we are sometimes in need of someone who really knows what they are talking about!
    Have you considered offering a weekly (or maybe starting w/ a monthly) interaction with an expert in the TH movement and then we all listen & join the conversation with our input. I know that might seem daunting for production, etc but it doesn't have to be a big deal - maybe it could just be a (text) Q&A interview instead of a video. You could ask for suggestions of who to invite & questions to ask. To further engage us all, you could ask one of us to be the interviewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy-TinyCircles View Post

Focusing on the suggestion for HELP from experts, I've been thinking thru what other forums I participate in & what makes them successful. Expert input is definitely a factor. We aren't by any means the blind leading the blind...but we are sometimes in need of someone who really knows what they are talking about!
      Have you considered offering a weekly (or maybe starting w/ a monthly) interaction with an expert in the TH movement and then we all listen & join the conversation with our input. I know that might seem daunting for production, etc but it doesn't have to be a big deal - maybe it could just be a (text) Q&A interview instead of a video. You could ask for suggestions of who to invite & questions to ask. To further engage us all, you could ask one of us to be the interviewer.
      Thank you for the suggestion Betsy. That's a great idea, I like it! At this point we're still in the startup phase with limited resources to entice a subject matter expert to dedicate their valuable time to answering questions here but I definitely like the concept. I'll just have to get a bit creative and figure out how to attract those experts to dedicate the time it would take to participate in such a manner.

Comment

Working...
      X