Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many questions...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Share


    So many questions...

    I am very interested in building a tiny house/cottage. My first thing to do is to buy some land. On the plans for the tiny house/cottage, I am drawing what I want to be built. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to look at my plans to tell me whether it can be done and approximately how much I would be spending? Also, I don't see a lot of videos for tiny houses for seniors or disabled. Are there any out there? I've seen one in Australia but I don't want to go that far to have one built. We need more of senior/disabled tiny homes here in the USA.
  • Share


    #2
    Your question made me remember reading about a tiny home builder in Florida that started building tiny houses because his mother needed a place to live and couldn't do stairs. I don't have any connection to them but perhaps you can get some ideas here https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/our-story
    ??????There was also a video about a veteran that was in a wheelchair that had a completely accessible tiny house. I believe this is the one:



    ??

    Comment

    • Share


      #3
      Originally posted by Joe View Post
      Your question made me remember reading about a tiny home builder in Florida that started building tiny houses because his mother needed a place to live and couldn't do stairs. I don't have any connection to them but perhaps you can get some ideas here https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/our-story
      ??????There was also a video about a veteran that was in a wheelchair that had a completely accessible tiny house. I believe this is the one:
      ??
      Thank you for the contribution Joe! The tiny house featured in the video looks like the perfect solution for someone with a disability or perhaps even an elderly person who is having some difficulty getting around.

      In reality, I think anyone with or without a disability would appreciate the "elevator bed" feature, in fact I'm going to repost your video to the post titled Loft or Main Floor Bedroom? There's been some discussion related to the difficulty of getting in and out of a loft in a tiny house so I think everyone discussing this issue would appreciate seeing this "elevator bed" feature as a potential solution to that issue.

      Comment

      • Share


        #4
        Originally posted by Chuck View Post

        Thank you for the contribution Joe! The tiny house featured in the video looks like the perfect solution for someone with a disability or perhaps even an elderly person who is having some difficulty getting around.

        In reality, I think anyone with or without a disability would appreciate the "elevator bed" feature, in fact I'm going to repost your video to the post titled Loft or Main Floor Bedroom? There's been some discussion related to the difficulty of getting in and out of a loft in a tiny house so I think everyone discussing this issue would appreciate seeing this "elevator bed" feature as a potential solution to that issue.
        I'm glad to be of help! There is a more detailed discussion of a DIY elevator bed by Ana White that she put into a tiny house in Alaska. I'll go over to the post you mentioned and see if I can post the video there.

        Comment

        • Share


          #5
          Originally posted by Anon E Mus 33 View Post
          I am very interested in building a tiny house/cottage. My first thing to do is to buy some land. On the plans for the tiny house/cottage, I am drawing what I want to be built. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to look at my plans to tell me whether it can be done and approximately how much I would be spending? Also, I don't see a lot of videos for tiny houses for seniors or disabled. Are there any out there? I've seen one in Australia but I don't want to go that far to have one built. We need more of senior/disabled tiny homes here in the USA.
          Anon,

          There's tons of different free plans available online however a design tool you might want to look into is Sketch-Up. https://www.sketchup.com/
          You can use the free version of the software to actually build your plans for your tiny house.
          When I bought the plans for my tiny house, it came with a free Sketch Up of the tiny house where I can adjust the plumbing lines if I change where appliances go.

          Comment

          • Share


            #6
            This is more like what I want with the exception of the elevator bed. I would prefer a murphy bed instead.



            Comment

            • Share


              #7
              Hi Anon, I posted elsewhere (in the loft vs 1 floor topic, I think) about my murphey bed/hidden desk which is being custom built for my THOW.
              i'll just add here that I'm excited about the versatility having the desk will provide me instead of filling up my tiny hedroom with just a bed! Now I'll have an office area too for my business. And my eventual plan is to have another THOW which I rent out & the niche for that rental will be as a writers retreat with the bed/office-desk combo. I share these details just to illustrate versatility even with very little space (mine is total 250sqft).

              Comment

              • Share


                #8
                That sounds nice. Can you post a picture?

                Comment

                • Share


                  #9
                  Ah yes, definitely...when it's delivered & installed which is supposed to be next week!
                  One special feature is that much of the wood (pine) is recycled from an antique hutch (I grew up with in our family home) which would never have fit in my tiny house - so I am working w/ several local master carpenters who are helping me repurpose it into my tiny!

                  Comment

                  • Share


                    #10
                    I attended a very cool webinar today, "Before You Build: What I Wish I'd Known Before Building My Tiny House" ????? by Ethan Waldman. Lots of good information and he was great at answering questions. There were over 230 people attending. His website is thetinyhouse.net. I found it at tinyhousenewsletter.com which is where I found out about this forum. Ethan does a regular podcast about living tiny, every Friday I think, but info is on his website. He's a very good resource and I really recommend his podcasts.


                    ???????

                    Comment

                    • Share


                      #11
                      I'm a big fan of the custom build that Tiny Idahomes did and Joe posted above. There is also another company that I'm aware does wheelchair accessible tiny homes called Wheel Pad. They're based in Vermont I believe and are more modular pre-fab tiny homes. The only caveat is that they only equip them with a bedroom and bath, but no kitchen. You could take a look at their floor plans to see what you think!

                      Comment

                      • Share


                        #12
                        Here is a link to a list of videos with ADA Tiny Homes https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ada+tiny+house
                        Here is a link to videos and plans for ADA Tiny Homes https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ny+house+plans
                        Hope this helps

                        Comment

                        • Share


                          #13
                          Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm checking them out.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X