What is this? How do I get rid of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? How do I get rid of it?

I was outside of my tiny house doing some yearly maintenance when I noticed this.It looks like Fungi ( only not the kinda of fun guy I'd like to hang out with!) LOL! Anyways, I can't seem to remove it. We have had tons of rain and then heat. I'm in sunny Florida.
    Any ideas? Help! Thanks in advance!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_182907.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	4448

Hmmmm... eat it?

Joking, please don't actually eat it!

Have you tried spraying it with vinegar?

Actually, could it be remnants of masking tape? scrub brush + vinegar works for me

Comment

I will try the vinegar this afternoon. It's not masking tape. Thank you for your suggestion.!

Comment

Hi Suzfrog...did the vinegar work?

Otherwise, it might be farfetched perhaps but I read that pollen/bacteria overload is happening this year all over the US and has had a huge impact on a lot of different things. Is it possibly pollen build-up or a fungus produced by over exposure to high amounts of bacteria mixed with a happy breeding ground of heat and humidity in sunny Florida? It does act like fungus growing on the underside of a shady area.

If vinegar didn't work try fungus killer. Or other natural solutions (in addition to or instead of the vinegar).

Good luck!

Comment

Is the wood still hard, or is it softer than the non-affected bits of wood?

Comment

Wood is still hard.. I used vinegar yesterday and it worked. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Glad your fungi or whatever gave up when you used vinegar! This exchange is such a great example of what this forum is meant to be. Thanks to everyone who contributed - I don't have this fungus on my THOW (which is in the same park as Suzie's) but I learned a lot anyway!

Comment

The Fungi is back and worse but again the vinegar worked!!

Comment

You may want to consider sealing and or staining that wood.

Comment

I already have.

Comment

As distasteful as it may sound, you might have to open up that wall and see what's going on. You removed the material and it was back in two weeks! That's a problem (you probably knew that) and it doesn't sound healthy. Call a pest expert to come take a look and be prepared to pull some boards and replace them.

Comment

Working...
                      X