Tiny House Myths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny House Myths?

Does anyone have any knowledge of Tiny House Myths that have been debunked in your eyes? I have people that call me on a daily basis with the most random questions about living Tiny and any information you could help provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Nanci Do you have a few examples to help facilitate the discussion?

Comment

CasitaiiTiny,
      Sure, I get asked questions like:
      Is it true that I can't have guests? Or will I lose my privacy, or will I still feel secure in a Tiny Home, do I have to be a nomad, or is it true that I can't have a full sized anything, or do I need to give up buying in bulk (because I save a lot of money doing that)? I don't always have the answer, but I try my best. I was hoping to be proactive and get answers to questions I haven't been asked yet. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Thanks

I think the most common questions I hear are on legalities of tiny living. Here are a few

1. Appendix Q - I see a lot of people applauding the potential adoption of this into building codes, but I am not so sure. So far as I can tell, this only legally defines a tiny house in the eyes of the government and from what I have seen in past experiences, building codes are enforced/applied at the whim of the compliance officer.

2. NOAH certification - Is there any way to certify an existing THOW?

Comment

CasitaiiTiny,
          Thanks for your valuable input! Last Week, Virginia adopts IRC Tiny House Appendix Q! You are right, there are a multitude of legality questions presented. Here is an article I have come across on the subject, if anyone wants to read more https://tinyhouseblog.com/announceme...se-appendix-q/. Yes Appendix Q is a requirement at the State level as opposed to other states where local-level approval is still required. Virginia is the 7th state to make Appendix Q a blanketed requirement w/o local level approval.
          Wow, what a great second question you propose! The answer is yes, on a case-by-case basis. NOAH does not want to deny people the ability to inspect and certify their homes just because they did not know about us until after their Tiny was built. It is important to note that the build must be well documented. Please reach out for further details. 866-664-6624 X703

Comment

Thanks! I will contact the number. I designed and built my THOW and have extensive detail of all aspects of the build. It was designed to be a lifelong structure, so I'm confident it would pass, but would still love to be NOAH certified because of the value add

Comment

We are happy to accommodate your request. Just give us a ring

Comment

For some reason I see a lot of people talk about clothes smelling like fish (or any other pungent cooking smell).

I can't think of one time that my stored clothes have ever smelled like food that's been cooked in our home.

Comment

Thanks for that idea Small Home Family! Now that you mention it, I do remember meeting a couple, who cooks primarily Indian cuisine, at a Festival asking what they could have done to cut down on residual odors in their Tiny from cooking, but most Tiny dwellers do not experience this challenge. I remember we suggested proper ventilation near the cooking activity. If the only vent you have is in the restroom, you will be pulling the odor through the house until it reaches the vent and that could take some time to expel any odors.
                  Last edited by Nanci; 09-11-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

I designed my home with the kitchen and closets on opposite ends of the structure, each with dedicated ventilation for this exact reason. We finished recently and have had windows opened most of the time, so I'm curious to see how it all pans out during cold season.

Comment

Sounds like CasitaiiTiny has prepared well by having dedicated ventilation. Good rule of thumb to follow. Sounds like you do not need to fear that "Winter Is Coming".

Comment

Working...
                      X