Maiden Voyage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden Voyage!

Two weeks ago I bought a BIG truck so that I can finally be the person who does the towing of my house.

My plan from the beginning of building my tiny house has always been to go to many places.Why build a house on wheels to sit?
    While I was building my house I quickly discovered the truck I had would not be BIG enough to tow my house.I became that person who had a THOW but was always at the mercy of others. Whether friends or the professionals to tow my house.

Coming home from my first festival, my tow person lost my house,three miles from festival.Thankfully, I missed seeing the accident.I was the lead driver but when my tow person no longer was following me and I went back to find out why. I was in disbelief! I couldn't wrap my brain around what had happened. My house travelled down the road by it's self a 1/2 a mile. My Jack was demolished,my chains tore off. Part of my storage unit was missing a door. Thankfully my house was " Built Suzy Tough!" Scary times and it made me rethink the whole moving of my house. At that point my house went to sitting except for one time maybe two times a year.Really not how I had planned living in my house.
    Every year I would go to one festival.I was invited to many but never went.
    When my job changed and I began working at a tiny house community my thoughts kept moving towards the fact I needed a truck. I bought an F250.

Friday night, I unhooked my house and hooked it up to my truck.Yesterday I went to a talk & tour at a library about 38 miles one way from my location. A good friend came with me and gave me tips and pointers. She's been my tow person on many occasions. She towed me and my house there yesterday and I towed her home.
    To say I was nervous was an understatement! As I climbed into the driver's seat I saw my view change completely. Oh,the opportunities that now await me. The places and people I can meet! For the most part the tow was easier than I thought it would be. Scary at times, once or twice the ride was super smooth I forgot I was towing my house.
    I'm excited for what's to come. Signing up for festivals.My house will no longer be just a sitter. It will sit.Oh the places we will go!

Wonderful & yes, as you say - Oh, the places you will go!

Comment

Sounds exciting! we are heading in that direction but am hearing that I may need to get a CDL license to be able to tow our tiny. It is is only 26 feet long but weighs about 16K due to slideouts on both sides. I think we may need a larger truck like a Ram 3500 Dualie.

Comment

CDL licenses are needed for vehicles over 26,000 lbs ... so you are good to go with your 3500 Dualie and a standard driver's license. Make sure to take the time to practice with your new truck and get great at backing up.

Comment

That would be good news! Is it just the weight of the tiny house or the combined weight of the truck and the tiny house?

Comment

Total weight on the road ... so both. The truck weighs something around 11,000lbs and the tiny house is probably 12-14,000lbs. If the house is a little smaller, you might consider a Ram 2500.

Comment

House is a little bigger - partly due to the upgrades requiring a steel separator wall inside to accomodate privacy and features additions. maybe 16k

Comment

Originally posted by K&P Agape House View Post
                It is is only 26 feet long but weighs about 16K due to slideouts on both sides. I think we may need a larger truck like a Ram 3500 Dualie.
                I can't see the wheels, and hence the number of axles, in the photo on the thread you started. So do you have 2 axles? 3? I ask because a typical 26 footer has 2 axles, each rated at 7,000 lbs, for a total permissible weight of 14,000 lbs. I hope you have 3 axles.

Also, it appears that you have a bumper pull, and with 10%, or perhaps 12%, of the trailer weight on the tongue, that puts 1600 to 1900 lbs on the trailer hitch. Certainly gonna need a one ton dually for that irrespective of tow capacity.

Comment

3 axles rated at 7000 apiece
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3146.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	5917

Comment

Working...
                  X