Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all about the money!?

Hello again Tiny Dreamers!

I am trying to narrow down my budget and get an idea how much this is going to cost me to build my tiny house. There's so many different options!

Going with a builder- Looking at the tiny house models on all the websites has me swooning over skylights and back-splashes. Their expertise seem amazing and a lot of them really know the industry. A great perk of going with a builder seems to be the ease of not having to break your back over the construction and their knowledge of areas like electrical setup and plumbing installation. After speaking with one builder, I realized that going with a builder in your local area (or the one where you plan to live) provides you with insider tips such as which areas are friendly for your future home to park in and what type of insulation is best. The downside: you pay for the their knowledge and hard work. It seems to almost triple to cost of a build.

DIY- The obvious perk here for me is the money. It cost wayyyyy less to just do it myself however the planning involved is out of this world. From framing to trailers to electrical grid configurations to certifications to code- ahhhhhhh. I just happen to be person that finds joy in planning. The more complicated the problem, the more excited I get. So far I am enjoying this adventure, however I am not so silly as to realize that I won't need a bunch of guidance along the way. I want all the luxury but however my wallet is telling me a different story.

My question to rest of you: Have you decided to DIY your tiny house (and why?) or did you decide on an expert builder who can fairy godmother your tiny house dreams into reality (and who?)

When we bought our home, the tiny house movement was still quite young and there weren't many options for builders. We ended up going with a park model trailer, which is a less expensive option than some offer, but it's not great if you are looking for something really mobile.

I am soooooo glad that we didn't try to build something ourselves. The more general DIY projects I undertake, the more I realize just how big of a project a tiny house build would be. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and not much money at all as well as a certain amount of perseverance to follow through to the end, I think finding a reputable builder makes a lot of sense.

I am so impressed with the people who build their own tiny houses!

Comment

Since we are building on a foundation, we are not doing this as a DIY project. We're both in our 60s, experienced with lots of DIY projects, but once we start, I want to be able to get into the house within a short period of time. We are going to have it built, and it will likely be a small house rather than a true tiny.

Additionally, living in Los Angeles county, we have earthquake building codes we have to meet and those regs are challenging.

So we are looking at alternatives styles of homes, from dome homes, to geodesic domes, Deltec round homes, to container homes, to yurts. We have even looked at strawbale, rammed earth, underground styles, so unconventional is not as important as livability, being code compliant, and in our forever, last house in a timely manner.

Maybe not the typical tiny house couple, but then what tiny/small house aficionado is...

Comment

Hi TinyHouseGirl,
        with the help of an excellent carpenter and builder, I converted my garden shed (12 ft. x 12 ft.) into a tiny house, where I now live happily with three animals. I estimated the cost at $12,000. I now receive a rent check for $1,050/mo. for my big (637 sq. ft.) house (TLBH). If you're interested in the details they are described in the book on Amazon entitled, "A Tiny House Fixed My Retirement Cash Flow: By Freeing Up A Rental Property for Two People and a Dog." It sure is working well for yours truly.
        It struck me that this an alternative to reverse mortgages - who wants to put their future in the hands of a bank? No I! I have it arranged to be reversible as the rental agreement is for 3 mths. notice either way. I show no signs of wanting to leave my tiny house.
        It paid for itself in just over a year.
        It's an idea that may work for some people.
        Wishing you well with tiny houses.
        Kind Regards,
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny House and Garden.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	5.14 MB
ID:	830
        kev aka FitOldDog

Comment

Thanks, Fit, and I love the pictures of the houses.

Comment

Thank you Fit for the information on how to obtain the book on Amazon.... I'm going to do that right after this post!.. And I think you did an excellent job on your tiny house,. It was really smart that you rented your home for income.... Pretty much my dream in a nutshell! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by FitOldDog View Post
              Hi TinyHouseGirl,
              with the help of an excellent carpenter and builder, I converted my garden shed (12 ft. x 12 ft.) into a tiny house, where I now live happily with three animals. I estimated the cost at $12,000. I now receive a rent check for $1,050/mo. for my big (637 sq. ft.) house (TLBH). If you're interested in the details they are described in the book on Amazon entitled, "A Tiny House Fixed My Retirement Cash Flow: By Freeing Up A Rental Property for Two People and a Dog." It sure is working well for yours truly.
              It struck me that this an alternative to reverse mortgages - who wants to put their future in the hands of a bank? No I! I have it arranged to be reversible as the rental agreement is for 3 mths. notice either way. I show no signs of wanting to leave my tiny house.
              It paid for itself in just over a year.
              It's an idea that may work for some people.
              Wishing you well with tiny houses.
              Kind Regards,
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny House and Garden.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	5.14 MB
ID:	830
              kev aka FitOldDog
              I love your house!

Comment

There is almost an overabundance of information out there these days on tinies and related info. A number of Facebook pages (incl. Tiny House Central and Tiny House People...with their own Files too with additional info...as well as for the American Tiny House Association), blogs, books (plenty listed in Amazon) and, of course, You Tube videos (esp. of builds) and TH festivals. Nice to have so many resources...although it can be sometimes overwhelming in trying to parse through them. Obviously, there are more builders available these days (as well as sites containing reviews/recommendations related to them) and I'm one of those who would likely hire one to do my build. I can be adventurous but I'll still leave my residence (incl. its electrical, wiring, plumbing) to others. That said, I have seen a number of stories (several dropped into my Twitter feed @TinyHomesRule) about those who admit they had zero building experience and yet still managed to build fairly impressive tiny home of various varieties. I just think it comes down to personal choice and time on your hands....as well as one's budget and confidence in oneself. Of course, though, the more one seeks to customize their tiny the greater the budget becomes. All of that said, I love the world of the tiny community!

Comment

I personally am planning on utilizing a builder for my tiny house. I am years away from that happening, but I have been looking at all sorts of different models from different builder companies. I have seen some AMAZING DIY tiny homes though! If I had the skills and knowledge to do those things, I’d do it myself, but it’s far too much to take on for me with all of the other stuff I am involved in, so it’ll come down to saving over the year, then selected a final model to tweak.

Comment

To the original poster: Even though I’m disabled with a bad back, I still consider building a Tiny Home. Hopefully I’d find help from friends & family or strangers with similar interest. With that I would gladly help on a Tiny Home build so we could both learn.

With the motivation of financial situation and all of the instructions on YouTube you can do more than you can think 🤔. Our car needed brake work that the dealer quoted at almost $400 per wheel. Using perseverance and YouTube I replaced all 4 brakes including pads, rotors, and discs for the cost of 1.
                    while my back Really hurts, so does my wallet. And I have time on my side. I can do 1 brake, have a bad back pain night, then come back to tackle another.

So like I told my wife if it takes me 3 or more years to build our Tiny House so be it.

Another option for some of us is to buy a builder built Shell which is the basic complete walls, trailer, floor, & roof at a significant savings. Then you add the outside siding & interior including the kitchen appliances & cabinets. This gives you a Blank Slate to lay out the way you want. Just some food for thought.

Comment

I'll add to the helpful mention of the shell /partial build option that some builders, including Liberation Tiny Homes (in Lancaster, PA), will take their shell of your choice (they have 3 shell options at different prices) and do additional custom work for you on it. For example, I may choose their medium price shell which includes electric and ask them to add plumbing (my design) but not all the rest of the interior basics that go into their next price higher shell. Hope that makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                      X