Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Name All 5 Animals In These Photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Name All 5 Animals In These Photos?

It was a beautiful day yesterday so I decided to visit one of our nearby fourteeners. I was surprised at how much snow was still up there this late into June but the views were absolutely breathtaking. I also came across quite a bit of wildlife so I took some photos and I thought I'd share them here. Let's see who can be the first to name all 5 species of animals in the photos below. The prize: bragging rights!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG001_9956.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1909

Name:	IMG002_9986.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1910

Name:	IMG003_9834.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	1911

Name:	IMG004_9804.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	1912

Name:	IMG005_9823.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	1913

Name:	IMG006_9822.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1914

Name:	IMG007_9878.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1915

Name:	IMG008_9863.JPG
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	1916

Name:	IMG009_9852.JPG
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1917

Name:	IMG010_10044.JPG
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1918

Name:	IMG011_10020.JPG
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1919

Name:	IMG012_9965.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	1920

Name:	IMG013_9925.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	1921

Name:	IMG014_9969.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1922

Name:	IMG015_9975.JPG
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1923

Name:	IMG016_9982.JPG
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1924

Name:	IMG017_9906.JPG
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	1925

Name:	IMG018_9953.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1926

Name:	IMG019_10016.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1927

And when I pulled into my driveway after getting off the mountain this little lady was standing in my yard staring at me like I was invading her space:

Name:	IMG020_10055.JPG
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	1928

Well I see the dog and the mountain goats for sure! Not sure about the others. I want to say deer for the last one, but the deer around here don't look quite like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHomeFamily View Post
      Well I see the dog and the mountain goats for sure! Not sure about the others. I want to say deer for the last one, but the deer around here don't look quite like that.
      You're off to a good start. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a full description of each of the 5 animals featured in the photos. For example, "dog", while technically is one of the animals featured I'd be looking for something more specific like Yorkshire Terrier (assuming the dog featured was one). That being said, you have 1 of 5 correct. And 2 of 5 close but please be more specific. Care to try again before someone else beats you to it? Thanks for participating!

Comment

Okay, so I had to look up Colorado wildlife for more hints, but I'm going to go with Bighorn Sheep, Yellow Lab, Mountain Goats, Yellow-Bellied Marmot, and Mule Deer.

The sheep threw me because they don't have big horns! And I've definitely never seen a marmot.

If that's not right, I'll have to let someone else take a crack at it!

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHomeFamily View Post
          Okay, so I had to look up Colorado wildlife for more hints, but I'm going to go with Bighorn Sheep, Yellow Lab, Mountain Goats, Yellow-Bellied Marmot, and Mule Deer.

The sheep threw me because they don't have big horns! And I've definitely never seen a marmot.

If that's not right, I'll have to let someone else take a crack at it!
          Awesome! I didn't think anyone would get it that fast. I especially thought the Yellow-bellied Marmot would really throw people off. Yeah, and you're right the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep didn't really have very "big horns" now did they. Thanks for playing. Nice job, you win!

Comment

I was a definite on your lab and the mule dear! And pretty confident with the goats! But not so much with the "little" horn sheep & marmot. Great photos!

Comment

Originally posted by birderdiane526 View Post
              I was a definite on your lab and the mule dear! And pretty confident with the goats! But not so much with the "little" horn sheep & marmot. Great photos!
              Thanks for your compliments on the photos. It's easy to take good photos which such incredible subject matter! I have an immense amount of gratitude for being able to live in such a beautiful part of our country.

Comment

What state do you live in? We spent last spring & summer in Yellowstone so I really should have been able to name all of the animals in your pictures!!

Comment

Originally posted by birderdiane526 View Post
                  What state do you live in? We spent last spring & summer in Yellowstone so I really should have been able to name all of the animals in your pictures!!
                  We live in the mountains of Colorado! My wife and I made it to Yellowstone a few years ago and wow, talk about a picturesque environment. I always thought of Yellowstone as having Old Faithful and that was about it. As you know, it's just one of the many attractions in the park. We only planned two days for our stay in Yellowstone because we really had no idea how much there was to see and do there and we were also visiting Grand Teton National Park during the same trip. We're hoping to make it up that way again sometime soon and plan to stay an entire week so that we can take our time and see everything in the park. Would also love to make it up to Glacier National Park up in Montana one day soon!

Oh and it's a rather long story but I managed to take this shot of a Grizzly bear while we were at Yellowstone just seconds before he charged me. He finally stopped less than 10 feet short of me and we had about a 2-minute standoff until he finally decided to saunter off back in the direction he came from. It was a pretty extreme adrenaline rush and also a very cool experience. By the way, this picture was shot with a 400mm zoom lens so I am not nearly as close to the bear as it appears in the photo. I always maintain a safe distance from any wildlife especially ones with claws and fangs that weigh at least three times more than I do. And in this case I was carrying bear spray, which fortunately I didn't feel the need to deploy but you can bet I had my finger on the trigger just in case he took one more step closer.

Name:	IMG_2664.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2187

Comment

Quite a story! Great picture of the grizzly! Glacier is an amazing place too! And if you can get to Olympic NP, it has a beautiful rainforest to hike through!

Comment

Working...
                    X