Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Important Property of My Tiny House

Hi folks.

My tiny house is bolted to the ground, being a converted 12 ft. x 12 ft. garden shed. I did this so as to improve retirement cash flow to support my online business (Old Dogs in Training, LLC). It's getting to be really hot in North Carolina right now, approaching 100 degrees F. in the last few days.

Fortunately, one of the first things we did to the shed in preparation for turning it into an office (long before thinking about living here), was to have it well insulated. As you can see in the photo below, taken last winter, with the wood stove cranking out heat there is no snow melt on the roof. My builder, Jonny, did a great job.

Just as important, as I live on 12-volt electricity with no AC, the house stays cool on the hottest of days until about 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Then the dogs and I take a siesta, and emerge into the cool of the evening to collect food from the vegetable garden.

I love living here, and it sure has helped my cash flow.

When I go into my regular house (637 sq. ft.), that is now rented to some really nice graduate students, it seems huge.

Why did America go for such large houses, I wonder, as an immigrant from the UK in 1979.

Enjoy your tiny house living, and remember to be sure it is well insulated, especially the ceiling.

Cheers,

kev aka FitOldDog

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny House in the Snow.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	1716

I wish our house had better insulation, and if I could do it over, I would probably invest in upgraded insulation. I definitely second the idea that this is one area that shouldn't be skimped on. Looks like your builder did a great job!

Comment

FitOldDog What type of insulation did you use? Batt, denim, blown, spray, radiant barrier, etc?

Comment

Hi Chuck, it was R13 Wall Insulation. kev

Comment

Originally posted by FitOldDog View Post
          Hi Chuck, it was R13 Wall Insulation. kev
          So it was batt insulation (the stuff that comes in rolls and usually made of pink or yellow fiberglass material)?

Comment

The Second Most Important Property of My Tiny House: Bug Screens

Click image for larger version  Name:	Magnetic screen 150 small file.jpg Views:	2 Size:	390.1 KB ID:	1766

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cat behind screen small file.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1767

Hi Folks,

I do love my tiny house (TTGH - The Tiny Green House), but mosquitoes love me. Bummer! I had a screen door, but it kind of fell apart, and anyway, it wafted bugs in, rather then out. The I noticed that my big (TLBH - The Little Blue House) house was fitted with magnetic bug screen door. I was immediately intrigued, then bought two sets from Amazon (no, I don't always buy from Amazon, as I don't like the 500 pound gorilla syndrome. In fact, I buy as many books from Kobo as I do from the gorilla.

Anyway.

I really appreciate these screen doors, you just walk through and they zip shut behind you.

Only took about 20 minutes to install. After some initial confusion the dogs and Cat, the cat (not so delighted), can negotiate them fine.

There are multiple brands, but the ones I bought were from Easy Screen Doors. I guess I just liked the look of them.

Definitely a plus for my tiny house living in North Carolina in the summer. They also permit be to open the front and back doors for airflow (no AC).

That's it.

Cheers,

kev aka FitOldDog

PS Big storm coming in, which I love to watch from my tiny house porch as I laugh at the mosquitoes trying to reach me.

Comment

Those are a lifesaver! Mosquitos love me too. And the flies out here are so big they'll knock you down.
              Our door opens 'out' like an RV so we couldn't put in a traditional screen door. I saw these 'doorway screens' at a friends place in Guanajuato and thought they were great. I'm obsessed with white so I was bummed when I saw them everywhere in black... but you know if you troll the internet long enough... 👆🏼

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3a2a.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1771

Comment

EFFICIENCY IS KEY: HOW TOWELS SAVE ME WORK

Hi folks,

I live in 102 sq. ft. plus 32 sq. ft. screened porch, with two dogs and a cat, next to my vegetable garden. So we traipse in a lot of leaves. This creates work. I'd rather be writing my books or training than cleaning the carpet.

Solution. Two old towels are laid on the floor during high traffic times. Afterwards, I just shake them outside and leave them to air for a little while (if it's not raining).

I just wash them in the usual way if my old dog, Scooter pees on them (he's 19, blind and deaf, so that's normal).

Anything to improve my fun/work ratio.

kev

PS That's my breakfast, 80% direct from the garden, along with some more vegetable matter on the towel. It is SO MUCH easier than cleaning the carpet.

Name:	Towel over fence.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1796

Name:	Breakfast this morning.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	1797

Comment

Thanks for these insights into your tiny home & lifestyle. And breakfast - yum! That snow photo & the insulation details are impressive especially for me living in FL! Do you get any inside condensation on your windows?
                  Great idea about the door towels too - easier to maintain than bulky doormats which seem to just collect the dirt & let you walk thru it each time you go in.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSoutherner View Post
                    Those are a lifesaver! Mosquitos love me too. And the flies out here are so big they'll knock you down.
                    Our door opens 'out' like an RV so we couldn't put in a traditional screen door. I saw these 'doorway screens' at a friends place in Guanajuato and thought they were great. I'm obsessed with white so I was bummed when I saw them everywhere in black... but you know if you troll the internet long enough...
                    LOVE the white screens! It makes the home look so airy.
                    Could you show & tell us about your bookshelves over the doorway - maybe start a new topic there? They look intriguing!

Comment

I hope you find those white bug screens, kev

Comment

Working...
                      X