Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An information resource for using shipping containers as housing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An information resource for using shipping containers as housing.

I ran across a resource that has a lot of information available regarding using shipping containers to build a house. Check it out at the following link:

http://www.isbu-association.org/resources.htm

Thanks for that. Container Homes are on the rise and many people could benefit from the information provided, especially the free design software!

Comment

Thank you for that link. For four years I was all about the THOW but as of the last year, I decided a shipping container was the way to go for me. Big plan on the Big Island in a Tiny Home. I'm going to start a new topic and will post pictures from the delivery of my container to the filling it and shipping it overseas... I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions.
      Thank you so so much in advance,
      FailureIsAChoice

Comment

Using a shipping container as both a way to collect and ship things and to live in once you get to the final destination is a brilliant idea. That reminds me of a story that I heard years ago that was supposedly true but who knows for sure? There was a guy that lived somewhere in Alaska that ordered a prefabricated house that was shipped to him inside of a shipping container. The original company that sent the house expected to hear something back regarding the return of the shipping container. After a while they decided to investigate and they discovered that the customer was living in the shipping container and using the prefabricated house for fuel.

Comment

I was recently visiting Paradise Valley area of Montana and ran across Pine Creek Lodge where they had about 6 or 8 containers built into guest houses. They sat in semi circles and seemed to have a common bathhouse but I'm not sure if some of them weren't plumbed. I've been back to them for several years now and they are always full... seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Comment

By design ocean going shipping containers have to be pretty corrosion resistant to withstand the rigors of exposure to salt air on ocean voyages. I think they are made of a variety of steel that is pretty tough and the coatings they are painted with should also be pretty sturdy stuff. My guess is as long as they are maintained that rust should not be an issue.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X