DIY Sub-Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Sub-Forum?

Hello all. Just Started here and was looking through the posts. I'm more of a lurker these days but I wanted to know of there's any interest for a DIY Sub-Forum? I'm currently looking to build my own THOW here in Texas and move up to the PNW and have run into some unique situations that other DIYers might have some keen insight on.

Would it be possible to start a DIY forum? Thanks for reading!

We currently have the sub-forum, https://www.tinyhouseforum.com/forum...yourself-hacks Do It Yourself Hacks, where you could start discussions about the DIY Tiny House process. Looking forward to seeing your contributions!

Comment

Oh, thank you. I was wondering why there wasn't one already. Not sure why I couldn't find it on my phone earlier, but thanks for the help!

Comment

I am a DIYer, and certainly not enamored of the inclusion of the word Hacks in the subforum name. Generally speaking, a hack is amateurish, unprofessional, or, perhaps makeshift. As a DIYer, I do not think of what I am doing as "hacking together a tiny house".

Issues important to many/most DIY builders include, for example, building codes, which are not really part of Zoning & Ordinances, but don't really fit under Hacks. For example, RV code verses IRC. Are composting toilets permitted by IRC? (They are - but with possible restrictions). How about wet bathrooms. What are minimal size requirements for entry, egress. Minimum spacing of fixtures in the bathroom, and is it common to allow "substandard" spacings. Etc. Pros know this stuff. DIYers need to.

Another subject of interest to DIYers and not really covered by "hacks", is tools. Professional builders own tools. As a DIYer, I didn't initially appreciate what was needed, and how much I would end up spending on tools. And simple things. How do I get 4 sheets of expensive birch plywood the 150 miles from the nearest lumberyard that sells it? Pros own a truck, or buy in volumes such that free delivery is provided. I don't. So what do I do? Etc.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea. I'm not suggesting a new forum, but rather that the words hacks be dropped from the subforum name since that seems both limiting (minor fixes to an existing house), and if I may say, a bit insulting.

End of rant.
        Last edited by Doug; 07-29-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
          I am a DIYer, and certainly not enamored of the inclusion of the word Hacks in the subforum name. Generally speaking, a hack is amateurish, unprofessional, or, perhaps makeshift. As a DIYer, I do not think of what I am doing as "hacking together a tiny house".

Issues important to many/most DIY builders include, for example, building codes, which are not really part of Zoning & Ordinances, but don't really fit under Hacks. For example, RV code verses IRC. Are composting toilets permitted by IRC? (They are - but with possible restrictions). How about wet bathrooms. What are minimal size requirements for entry, egress. Minimum spacing of fixtures in the bathroom, and is it common to allow "substandard" spacings. Etc. Pros know this stuff. DIYers need to.

Another subject of interest to DIYers and not really covered by "hacks", is tools. Professional builders own tools. As a DIYer, I didn't initially appreciate what was needed, and how much I would end up spending on tools. And simple things. How do I get 4 sheets of expensive birch plywood the 150 miles from the nearest lumberyard that sells it? Pros own a truck, or buy in volumes such that free delivery is provided. I don't. So what do I do? Etc.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea. I'm not suggesting a new forum, but rather that the words hacks be dropped from the subforum name since that seems both limiting (minor fixes to an existing house), and if I may say, a bit insulting.

End of rant.
          I guess it all depends on your perspective and how you are looking at the sub-forum named "Do It Yourself Hacks". In today's common vernacular and one dictionary definition, the word "hack" is defined as follows: "A clever solution to a tricky problem; to hack is to mod or change something in an extraordinary way". That's the definition of "hack" we were shooting for when naming the sub forum and I could be wrong however I think the majority of people would see it that way.

That being said, as you pointed out the term "hack" does also have a negative connotation in other contexts and perhaps that could be confusing to some people. I'd love to hear from others here as to whether they find the use of the word "hack" offensive in the context of our sub forum or if they understand it to be positive in nature as in the definition of 'hack" I used above. Also, if you would like to suggest a term to replace the word "hack" and still convey the original intended meaning of "A clever solution to a tricky problem; to hack is to mod or change something in an extraordinary way" we could certainly consider renaming the sub forum as we most definitely don't want others to feel as you do in regards to the use of the term "hack". Thank you for your input!

Comment

Chuck - Thanks for the response. Given that the content is to be "clever solutions", I don't object. However, where would the other topics I cited fit in? Tools, IRC, and other "mundane" interests of DIY builders that pros already know? Thanks again,

Doug

Comment

Chuck - Thanks for the response. Given that the content is to be "clever solutions", I don't object. However, where would the other topics I cited fit in? Tools, IRC, and other "mundane" interests of DIY builders that pros already know? Thanks again,

Doug
              Perhaps we found our answer to this dilemma in the definition of "hack" I posted earlier in the form of the word "solutions". What do you think about changing the sub forum name from "Do It Yourself Hacks" to "DIY Solutions"? This would eliminate confusion regarding any potential negative connotations such as you pointed out. Additionally, it would be more of an all encompassing description that could include: hacks, tools, IRC, and other mundane interests...as well as anything else that is DIY related. Let me know what you think about changing the sub forum name to DIY Solutions, I think that may be a better description of the sub forum anyway. Thanks for pointing out that the term "hack" can also be viewed in a negative light even though we were shooting for the "clever solutions" definition.

Comment

Chuck - I do like that. Solutions is a much broader term and invites a range of questions and answers. Thanks.

Doug

Comment

Chuck - I do like that. Solutions is a much broader term and invites a range of questions and answers. Thanks.

Doug
                  We've changed the name of the sub forum from "Do It Yourself Hacks" to "DIY Solutions". Thanks for your insight and feedback on this issue. I think "DIY Solutions" is a much more appropriate description for this sub forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X