Tiny House on a basement foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny House on a basement foundation

Hello Tiny House Forum! My name is Kim and I own 1.28 acres of land in West Boylston, MA. I am trying to find someone to help me bring my ideas to life. Contractors tell me I cannot have access to the basement from inside the tiny house. I would like to go wider than the typical 8x6 seeing that I won’t have the restrictions that building on wheels does. A lot of the tiny home companies are not willing to help me just design my home. They want the design and build on wheels. I even asked if they could build on a skid so that it can be dropped on a foundation and still no luck. Does anyone out there know of a company that would work with me to get a home built?

Hi! Welcome to the forum!
    I just checked the info online on a builder in Florida I know if who does good quality tiny houses/sheds on foundations. They are called Historic Sheds. Their site currently says they are limiting their work area to local stuff (must have plenty of work!). But you can check their site & maybe even contact them to see if they can recommend anyone.
    Hope you find someone soon to help you get started!
    Betsy

Comment

Thank you Betsy 💕

Comment

Hi Kim,

This is Todd from Phillipston, MA. We are in a similar situation and I have been digging into some options.

I believe Jamaica Cottage Shops in Londonderry, Vermont might have some options for you to check and/or offer some other leads. Here is there link:
        https://jamaicacottageshop.com/

I also found a very interesting/cool company in Walpole, New Hampshire called Unity Homes. They are on the pricey side but the Nano model (or one of its options) might be worth looking at.

Here is a link to their site. They do onsite building themselves but you might be slightly out of their building range. They told me that they can recommend other builders in a buyer's area too.
        https://unityhomes.com/our-designs/nano/

And they have an open house for a Nano they built in Greenfield, MA. It is 463sq ft. It is on August 21. 4-6 pm. Here is the link: https://unityhomes.com/events/

Overall, we are still looking and we don't have land yet. That seems to be a bit of a pain too. We just need 1.5+ acres in a quiet spot "near" where we currently live or work, but it is hard to find anything. I am hopeful that the forums here can provide some assistance as I can find tons of info about a Tiny House on Wheels but not a whole lot about a slightly less Tiny House on a foundation/slab/basement.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Toddias
          thank you for those resources! I will definitely check them out. I was even doing some research to see if I could get chucks of the build brought it. Sort of like modular ( they put the walls together and ship to me and then I can assemble it. Not having luck with that either. I talk to residential contractors and I don’t think they are interested because it’s too small. They jack the price (per square foot) to double or triple because it’s small. They tell me it would be better to build at least 1000 sq ft home, because there is always a minimum fee for materials and services. So ridiculous. It appears the “tiny house concept is really only allowing financial freedom if you buy one on wheels.
          I will not give up just yet

Comment

Working...
          X