Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Close to the Ground is Both Healthy and Promoted by Tiny Houses

The supreme good is like water,
    which nourishes all things without trying to.
    It is content with the low places that people disdain.
    Thus it is like the Tao.
    In dwelling, live close to the ground.
    In thinking, keep to the simple
    In conflict, be fair and generous.
    In governing, don't try to control.
    In work, do what you enjoy.
    In family life, be completely present.
    When you are content to be simply yourself
    and don't compare or compete,
    everybody will respect you.

- Lao-tzu, Tao te Ching, translation by Steven Mitchell

That little book is full of wonderful advice on living.

I find that my tiny house, next to the vegetable garden and within one foot of the soil, is centering. Yes! I need good bug screens and take care to block ingress of wood roaches. I cook on the screened porch in all weathers, even as the snow is falling (a rare event). Most of the year I can harvest food directly from the garden.

My tiny house is a converted 12 ft. x 12 ft. garden shed, with a closed living area of 102 sq. ft. I've been living here full time for a while now. When I go into "regular" houses, I feel as though I'm in some kind of cathedral. I wonder what they do with all that space. I even share the living area with Willbe and Cat (Scooter died recently, still sad), and my triathlon bike for which I paid 3x the cost of my tiny house. I had a good job and a great salary when I bought that custom bike. That said, if you want to ride thousands of miles a year and compete in Ironman races, you better have a bike that fits.

I see living close to the ground as one of the health benefits of tiny house living.

How are we going to care for the Biosphere if we hide ourselves away from it most of the time, in massive hermetically-sealed castles?

Wishing you happy tiny house living,

kev aka FitOldDog

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri bike in tiny house.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2845

Click image for larger version

Name:	Willbe on the porch small file.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	2844

Nice post - living very close to nature and homegrowing vegetables is nourishing and something that I think most people forget/overlook. It was common only a few decades ago!

Living within just 102 square foot is impressive. Did it take you a while to adjust to it?

Sorry to hear about Scooter

Comment

Dear FitOldDog,

So sorry to hear about Scooter, our hearts go out to you. My husband and I have been blessed by the presence of many four footed companions over the years and cherished each one as we know you cherished Scooter. They make life brighter and help ground us in this life.

Thank you for the beautiful quote from the Tao.

Comment

"Simplicity involves unburdening your life, and living more lightly with fewer distractions that interfere with a high quality life, as defined uniquely by each individual."
        ~ Linda Breen Pierce

Comment

HiFitOldDog

We are currently in the process of converting a shed into a Tiny House. We are still in the planning stages and getting ready to order our custom building.

Reading your post just made it even more clear to me on WHY I want to live Tiny. Simplicity is the way to go for me. Thank you for sharing.

My heart felt condolences on your recent lose of your beloved Scooter.

Best Wishes,
          Dana

Comment

Working...
          X