Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Big can I make my tiny house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Big can I make my tiny house

    Anyone know the maximum size I can build a tiny house on wheels? How big a trailer can it be on and what kind of square footage would I get out of it? Thx.

  • #2
    There is one I saw recently on the larger end of THOWs called the Escape Homes Traveler XL, it is 30 ft long, 35 with the hitch. They list it at 344 sq ft including loft space. You are generally limited to about 8.5 ft exterior width I believe to avoid needing a permit to move it. You need to watch the 10,000 lb weight limit also if moving it easily is a concern, houses below this weight can be towed with a V-8 half-ton pickup and a regular driver's license. Over 10,000 lbs and you need a truck driving license and usually a larger vehicle to tow it. Once you get over 20 ft long, it may be difficult to keep under 10,000 lbs total weight. Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Here’s a link to a AAA website on size and weight regulations regarding trailers: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/ And, for example, here’s the pertinent information regarding the state of California. “Total length: 65 feet (up to 75 feet in certain circumstances); trailer length: 28 feet 6 inches; motor home length: 40 feet (38 feet for a single-axle fifth wheel travel trailer; 40 feet for 2- or more axle fifth wheel travel trailer); width: 102 inches (excluding safety equipment and RV appurtenances up to 6 inches); height: 13 feet 6 inches (14 feet on designated roads).” There's info for each state plus Canadian provinces.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by willpvelo View Post
        There is one I saw recently on the larger end of THOWs called the Escape Homes Traveler XL, it is 30 ft long, 35 with the hitch. They list it at 344 sq ft including loft space. You are generally limited to about 8.5 ft exterior width I believe to avoid needing a permit to move it. You need to watch the 10,000 lb weight limit also if moving it easily is a concern, houses below this weight can be towed with a V-8 half-ton pickup and a regular driver's license. Over 10,000 lbs and you need a truck driving license and usually a larger vehicle to tow it. Once you get over 20 ft long, it may be difficult to keep under 10,000 lbs total weight. Good luck!
        Thanks for the information Will! Wow, 344 square feet is huge when it comes to a "tiny" house but it would be great to have that kind of space. I wonder how much it would cost to have the tiny house transported if I didn't want to invest in a huge truck and also deal with permits/licenses/etc? I know that would depend on how far it would need to be hauled but if I wasn't moving it much I think it would be worth the once in a while fee.
        Again, I appreciate the info!

        Comment


        • #5
          Gary, I paid to have mine moved about a year and a half ago (within Canada) and the rate was $1 Canadian per kilometer (works out to around US $1.20 per mile). My house is 18 ft long, 140 sf with loft and around 6,500 lbs but I think the rate would likely be in that range for a larger home.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by djlinton View Post
            Here’s a link to a AAA website on size and weight regulations regarding trailers: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/ And, for example, here’s the pertinent information regarding the state of California. “Total length: 65 feet (up to 75 feet in certain circumstances); trailer length: 28 feet 6 inches; motor home length: 40 feet (38 feet for a single-axle fifth wheel travel trailer; 40 feet for 2- or more axle fifth wheel travel trailer); width: 102 inches (excluding safety equipment and RV appurtenances up to 6 inches); height: 13 feet 6 inches (14 feet on designated roads).” There's info for each state plus Canadian provinces.
            Thanks for posting the link. There is so much info I need to research. ugh. It can get overwhelming at times.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by willpvelo View Post
              Gary, I paid to have mine moved about a year and a half ago (within Canada) and the rate was $1 Canadian per kilometer (works out to around US $1.20 per mile). My house is 18 ft long, 140 sf with loft and around 6,500 lbs but I think the rate would likely be in that range for a larger home.
              That's seems reasonable, especially if we're talking about a once every so many years fee or for me maybe it's just one time. I'm not sure at the moment. I'm only in the beginning stages of researching and planning out my tiny house. I really appreciate the help. It's nice to hear from someone that's actually experienced in the tiny house lifestyle. It's so helpful to know your info is legit and you're not just throwing out 2nd hand knowledge.

              I'll throw one last question out there since you are living in a tiny house. Do you think the size of your home meets all of your needs? I know everyone is different and their house could be for themself or an entire family. I've walked through tiny houses around 200 sq feet and they seemed perfect but I'm so used to the "American" lifestyle and living in bigger spaces (not huge but always over 1,000 square feet). Again, I appreciate your time!

              Comment


              • #8
                Everyone is different and needs change over time also. I built my tiny house ten years ago now (before they were cool ) and at the time was living on a cooperatively owned farm with large kitchen and storage spaces available (but not enough "legal" housing). But for the last 18 months it has been my only living space and it does meet my needs with some compromises. I guess it is still a work in progress in some ways, still figuring out how to make the best use of the space. To me it is a perfect one person house, would definitely want something bigger if I was living with someone or having more than one or two visitors at a time. I've traveled for long periods by bicycle living quite happily in a tent so the tiny house seems luxurious and spacious by comparison. By living this way, I've eliminated all stress about money, can work a $12 an hour job that I love and be able to pick up and move if I want to, this is the essence of freedom to me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My husband and I also look forward to just doing the work we enjoy and not being part of the rat race to make money. I'm semi retired (going to return to school to get my Master's in counseling) and my husband will retire in about three years we hope.

                  So we are really in that predesign phase, hoping to stick to around 500 feet, on a permanent foundation. We will also have a storage container which will be my husband's workshop. Our biggest challenge is the downsizing. My siblings and I went through that process, disposing of my parents things after they died last year and it's daunting.

                  We have more things than they did, and it's very hard getting going. We have been transitioning to e-books, and that helps, but for a book collector like myself, some of my favorites are never going to be digital.

                  It's challenging deciding whether to keep them or not.

                  One of my siblings is converting a trailer to become her THOW and she is working with a contractor, but doing a tremendous amount of the work herself. She is going to be in about 280 feet, I think, and it's a good size for her and her dogs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TinyHouseGirl View Post
                    My husband and I also look forward to just doing the work we enjoy and not being part of the rat race to make money. I'm semi retired (going to return to school to get my Master's in counseling) and my husband will retire in about three years we hope.

                    So we are really in that predesign phase, hoping to stick to around 500 feet, on a permanent foundation. We will also have a storage container which will be my husband's workshop. Our biggest challenge is the downsizing. My siblings and I went through that process, disposing of my parents things after they died last year and it's daunting.

                    We have more things than they did, and it's very hard getting going. We have been transitioning to e-books, and that helps, but for a book collector like myself, some of my favorites are never going to be digital.

                    It's challenging deciding whether to keep them or not.

                    One of my siblings is converting a trailer to become her THOW and she is working with a contractor, but doing a tremendous amount of the work herself. She is going to be in about 280 feet, I think, and it's a good size for her and her dogs.
                    Sounds like you've got your hands full with downsizing. I can totally relate to your situation. I think as Americans we've all grown far to preoccupied with accumulating "stuff" instead of living life to the fullest. Most of the "stuff" we collect is nothing more that physical and mental clutter that does nothing to enrich our lives. The tiny house lifestyle gets you back to the basics and what's important in life.

                    By the way I noticed you mentioned that your husband will be using a storage container for his workshop. That sounds like an awesome idea! We have a storage container sub forum that you may want to post a New Topic to and let everyone know about your plans to use one as a workshop. Others here may have some suggestions or information that may be helpful in setting up your husband's workshop.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Gary1968,

                      The maximum allotted square footage for a Tiny House on Wheels is 400 sq ft. This number does not include any exterior square footage such as from porches, decks or rooftop decks. Hope this helps!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You can build larger but it won't qualify as a Tiny Home specifically (unless its on a foundation). Anything over 8'6" wide and 13'6" long will require a special use permit. In NY & FL (I have only checked those two states so far) over 8'6" -10' wide requires a special use permit, 10' -12' wide requires a special use permit and an escort and any THOW over 14' wide requires a Special Use Permit and two escorts. A home between 0 and 400 sq ft is considered a Tiny Home on Wheels. A Tiny Home from 0 to 500 sq ft on a foundation is still considered a Tiny Home. Square footage from 500 to 1K is considered a Small Home. Good luck!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nanci View Post
                          You can build larger but it won't qualify as a Tiny Home specifically (unless its on a foundation). Anything over 8'6" wide and 13'6" long will require a special use permit. In NY & FL (I have only checked those two states so far) over 8'6" -10' wide requires a special use permit, 10' -12' wide requires a special use permit and an escort and any THOW over 14' wide requires a Special Use Permit and two escorts. A home between 0 and 400 sq ft is considered a Tiny Home on Wheels. A Tiny Home from 0 to 500 sq ft on a foundation is still considered a Tiny Home. Square footage from 500 to 1K is considered a Small Home. Good luck!
                          Thanks for the valuable information! I'm sure this will be quite enlightening, especially for our users who are just getting started on their tiny house journey. It's also great to have a representative from the National Organization of Alternative Housing aka NOAH on our forum. Such an incredible organization on the forefront of the tiny house movement! By the way, I'm also a fellow Kent State University alumni, graduated in 1994. I hope you'll be a regular forum user as someone with your level of knowledge of the tiny house lifestyle is an invaluable asset to all our community. Thank you for your participation!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just for reference in case you're looking for more information on moving various sizes of "tiny" houses professionally, we have a park model, which is 399 square feet and about as big as it can get before it's classified as a manufactured house. It's something between 11 and 12 feet wide, and we had it professionally moved about 100 miles across state lines when we first purchased it. It cost us just under $2000 to move and required appropriate permits and an escort if I remember correctly. I don't remember the details exactly, and this was a decade ago, so costs have likely changed a fair bit. But at the top range to move a very large "tiny" house professionally, it likely would cost several thousand dollars. There are a lot of variables as far as distance, size, and where exactly you're planning to move it. A road-legal tiny house that can be taken on public roads without special permits would likely cost quite a bit less to move professionally.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X