Tall tiny house question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tall tiny house question

Hello everyone! I'm in the planning/design stage of my tiny house project (via SketchUp), and I'm considering making my THOW slightly taller than the standard maximum height of 13.5 ft. Right now, I have it at 14.5 ft. The reason is because I'm fairly tall (over 6 ft.) and want ample headroom both in the loft and the downstairs bathroom. I know that this adjustments means I would have to get special licensing permission when moving the house, but I don't plan on moving it often. Besides that, are there any cons to think about before expanding the height of my house?

A license won't keep the top part of your house from hitting the underside of a bridge. The 13'6" is not a suggestion (you will get a ticket) and if the house ever moves, you will need to take it down to max height before you put it on the road. This is not to say that you couldn't design it in two pieces and have the top part installed (maybe by crane) when you get to where you are going. And maybe a tiny house is not for you. Perhaps you should build a small, stick-built home on a site of your choosing and then you get everything you want. Here is a fabulous YouTube video showing what you are looking at if you do what you propose ...

Comment

What trailer are you building on? Do you have a way to calculate what the added height would add in weight? Also, do you know how often you'd be moving? While it's true that you can navigate around any obstacles, I guess I would ask myself if the increase in logistics was worth it to get the height you want.

I built mine 13' 6" exactly knowing that I wouldn't be moving much and it's still quite stressful.

Another point is stealth. Obviously the taller a structure is the greater the likelihood that a nosy neighbor takes note and tattles on you.

These things may not be a concern where you live, but just sharing some thoughts. I'd love to see your SketchUp model if you don't mind sharing.

Comment

Thanks CasitaiiTiny. I'm looking at getting a Trailer Made trailer that's custom built for tiny houses. The weight calculation is a good point. I don't have a way to calculate that as of now. Not planning on moving it much at all, but I like the idea of having it one wheels just in case I'm forced to. THOWs aren't technically legal where I'm at, so I like the flexibility of being able to move it rather a stick frame house with a foundation. These logistics are definitely worth thinking about before I start building. I'll consider sharing my SketchUp model when I've completed it.

I'd be interested to know what other tall folks (6 ft.+) have done to make their THOW more comfortable - even at 13'6".

Comment

So I'm 6' exactly and there is ample headroom on the main level. Even with a 12" foam mattress in the loft, I can sit up straight in bed (high side of shed roof only), but certainly could not stand up straight. I put a skylight above the bed which makes the space feel much roomier.

I went with TrailerMade as well and am happy with the trailer. When I bought mine, they didn't offer structural fenders at the time, so I had to weld in some brackets on one of mine because I was planning on putting a door over it. I was told they would make this feature standard in the future, if that's of any value to ya

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Trailer_side-1024x559.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	3330

Comment

Have you considered building it with an expandable/raisable hydraulic roof!?

Comment

Originally posted by ThinHaus View Post
              A license won't keep the top part of your house from hitting the underside of a bridge. ]
              I do believe that, with sufficient permitting and planning, you can move oversized things, including over-height. I also believe that to get the over-height permit, you must show your route plan and clearances of everything along the way. There is trucker software that gives clearances of all bridges in the US. You would also probably need a person to lift cables. Electrical lines are supposed to be at least 15'6", but they aren't always, and phone/internet cables are supposed to be 14'6" or higher, but they aren't always. On my move from one build site to another, I had someone help lift TV cables in two places, both of which were well below the 13'6" height of my house.

lbucha01 Bryce Langston from New Zealand has a Tiny House channel (Living Big in a Tiny House), is 6'4" or so, and is big enough that he played a Gladiator on the Spartacus TV show. He talks about his height relative to his personal tiny in some video.
              Last edited by Doug; 08-12-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

The 13'6" height limit in the US seems pretty much written in stone. Can't even imagine the cost to hire and permit wire attendants on a trip from here in Arizona to perhaps, Oregon. If you want room height, then it seems that a second floor would be for storage only. The problem might be solved easily enough by going with a much bigger, goose-neck trailer. It would be easier and less costly to move a long trailer that is within permissible height. Also thinking, what about building the house in two parts and using a crane at the end point to place the second floor in place? Then you could go to 15' or more ... a two piece construction? Actually easier to do than rolling down the highway with a super tall unit.

Comment

The 13'6" height limit in the US seems pretty much written in stone.
                  Not really. For example, you might want to check out www.wideloadshipping.com , or www.heavyhaul.net . Many truckers deal with oversize, and the permitting required, on a fairly regular basis.

Comment

One of the great parts of the tiny house movement is the ability to do most anything you want. If you have the time, the energy, the patience and sometimes the money you can get it done. Looks like Doug wants to move the Empire State Building from Burbank to Atlantic City and will do anything to make that happen. What an interesting project. For the rest of us, keeping things within reasonable boundaries and costs makes more sense. We all have some "Doug" within us and it can make parts of our build more costly. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. If it is, as going tall is for Doug, then have at it. With time, energy and money you can make it so.

Comment

ThinHaus Please. No need to be insulting. I was simply providing accurate information so that the OP could make an informed decision. I wasn't recommending, promoting, advocating, or suggesting anything. And as you can see from my shared house photos, "going tall", at least taller than 13'6", is not my thing at all.

Comment

One of the great parts of the tiny house movement is the ability to do most anything you want. If you have the time, the energy, the patience and sometimes the money you can get it done. Looks like Doug wants to move the Empire State Building from Burbank to Atlantic City and will do anything to make that happen. What an interesting project. For the rest of us, keeping things within reasonable boundaries and costs makes more sense. We all have some "Doug" within us and it can make parts of our build more costly. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. If it is, as going tall is for Doug, then have at it. With time, energy and money you can make it so.
                        ThinHaus, the above response to Doug is in violation of Tiny House Forum Rules (see rule #7). Consider this a rule violation warning and please refrain from posting further comments intended to instigate an argument. We're all here to learn from one another in a constructive and cordial manner. There's no need to post inflammatory comments directed toward another member of this community who's offering a potential solution to the original poster's question.

Comment

Working...
                        X