Bump Out Over Trailer Tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump Out Over Trailer Tongue

I have tried in vain for years to determine how far a 6' wide bumpout/bay could protrude over a trailer tongue - 1 foot? 1.5 feet? 2 feet? Is there some sort of formula that would allow you to determine the proportions based upon either the width of the bay or depth of the bay? Thanks.

I believe that would vary widely by how far the tongue protrudes. You do not want to have any kind of structure close enough to the hitch that there would be a chance the back of the tow vehicle could hit it. the main danger would be in a jack-knife or tight turn situation. My completely non-expert opinion would be not to put anything within 4 feet of the hitch.

Comment

Chinaizzie,
      Unfortunately there is no formula for calculating the bump out/bay window on the turn radius. You just have to have that clear area of 47" and 41 degrees. Here is what Chapter 8 of NFPA 1192 says about it: Chapter 8 of NFPA 1192 deals with Vehicular Requirements (here is a portion of NFPA 1192)
      Couplers must be adequately welded, bolted or riveted to transfer the minimum breaking load. They need a manually operated connection mechanism to prevent disengagement and offer a means for a padlock. Most of our inspections will be for a 2 5/16” coupler.
      The tongue must be 35” long. There must be clear turning area 40” high from the ground and 47” long so as to not hit any part of the home until at least 41 degrees from the centerline of the home.
      Safety chains need to be welded steel, color coded (class 1 is silver) and long enough to not go into tension during the above turning radius. They can be welded to the tongue or other attachment that is as strong as the chains themselves.
      Chains must be oriented to prevent the tongue from dropping to the ground if the primary connection fails.
      I wish I could give you an easy answer. Here is a YouTube video showing how to calculate your turn radius.
      Good luck!

Comment

Here are two better videos:
        It uses the Ackerman Steering Model for determining Turn Radius:

Comment

Good points from nancy above, you you ideally want to stay inside the "triangle" of the hitch, if you go wider than that you limit the turning radius of the vehicle. its always a good idea to get the optional extended tongue we offer on our trailers which extends the trailer to 5ft in length, this will allow more room to have a storage shed or other area on the tongue for storage

Comment

Another, slightly less important but still notable thing to also keep in mind if you do a bump-out over the tongue is to keep in mind your total Tongue weight when you're towing. If your bump-out is too heavy, it could negatively affect your hitch's towing abilities.

Comment

Wow - reading through this I learned a lot about what I don't know! I was naively going to start a topic asking for ideas on how to make my THOW tongue & hitch 'pretty' as well as functional beyond just hitching - maybe with a cute storage shed, container garden, or ? But after reading thru this, the first step should be to read up on the size & weight of whatever I might add & how to comply with code & safety measures. Thanx to all for these insights!

Comment

Tiny houses that I have been involved with typically have a frame that forms a triangle between the actual hitch at the front and the front of the rectangular area of the trailer. The area directly above that triangle should generally be a safe place to build some sort of extension for storage or other purposes. A storage box might be built with angled sides that stay within the boundary of that triangular area without having to be worried about turning radius and etc. A storage box on the front is an excellent place to put the equipment that goes along with solar panels on the roof. Namely batteries and an inverter. It is also a good place to store a few tools or things like a garden hose. Also note the mention in the post above about the turning radius clearance being up to 47" above the ground. I was involved in the design and build of one tiny house that had a door from the sleeping loft and a set of stairs up to a rood top deck that were well above 47" but otherwise would have been in the turning radius. That unit also had a storage box below the stairs that did have angled sides.

Comment

I agree with Tiny House Basics . I built a pop-out over the tongue, but did not go past the hitch. I also built on the tongue and connected to the popout, but stayed within the area of the tongue itself and have had no problems while towing.

Here's a pic of my build for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181125_152518-1-1024x768.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	2908

Comment

Working...
                  X