Getting ready to build my tiny house on wheels and have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to build my tiny house on wheels and have questions

I'm getting ready to build my tiny house on wheels. I'm using the base from a 28' travel trailer and am trying to figure a couple things out. I've dealt with enough rot in wood framed RVs that I want to go metal. I'm wondering about the strength to weight ratio and how big the tubing would need to be. Would aluminum be strong enough or should I go with steel? I've been looking at a lot of the steel frame portable storage buildings and wonder about using those as a base to work from. Would they be strong enough to deal with the additional weight? Finally, my wife wants a gabled roof and I'm wondering how the aerodynamics would work on that compared to a peaked or rounded roof. Any input appreciated

I think what you should consider is the gross vehicle weight that a travel trailer frame can hold. Travel trailers are not built to hold heavier stick built rigid structures so before you get too far, ask a THOW trailer builder about the differences.

Comment

Volstrukt prints steel framing--which might be right up your alley. They also work based on your own personal designs (or so the website claims), so you aren't stuck with a builder design that might not fit your needs. Apparently the weight of their product is 60% of what woods weighs, so it might be a place to look into. I'm not sure who else is doing this right now, but they are located in Texas. I'm planning to seek out their company when I'm finally ready to start building my house. Hope that helps.

Comment

ThinHaus builds with steel and a 28' model weighs something around12,000lbs empty ... so you would really want three 7k axles for this. There are a gazillion articles from folks talking about what a mistake is was to build on a used trailer. You might want to check those out. Also, a 28' THoW is a bear to lug around and really should have a big truck. Remember that T=H+E ... traveling down the highway is the same as a category 2 hurricane plus a magnitude 6 earthquake. You really want to be prepared or risk having a lot of broken stuff whenever you stop.

Comment

Working...
        X