My Design So Far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Design So Far...

Well here's my floor plan, it's absent any real cabinets/storage, the app i used doesn't have much in the way of tiny house fixtures, go figure...

I'm pretty set on a 4'0 door, one of those big house things I'm not willing to give up ya know. It's way too easy to move things in and out of a 4'0 door.

Above the 15sqft utility closet on the back of the trailer is a mini split unit, which will dump cold air right onto the loft above the bathroom, below that is a roof on the closet, and below that is water storage, then batteries. The water storage compartment is drained to below the batteries, so in the event of a leak in my fresh water tank(s) it will just leak down a drain pipe past the batteries. The reason for this is that i really do like to be able to use the toilet, if not the shower, in the event of an electrical failure of some kind. This room will probably be less wide, as I have not selected the trailer yet, i don't know exactly where the two I beams are, and the walls of the room need to sit directly on-top of those beams given the weight back there.

I'll have to balance the weight (drain/add water) to take it down the road, if I can get the tongue weight to around 200lbs +/- 50lbs i'll be doing pretty fantastic lol. Trailer brakes, the inertia controlled ones, are going to be a must for me, and while I'm at it i might as well throw in a skid axle. Iv'e seen some pretty steep entrances to RV parks...

Speaking of the trailer, this brings me to my first question on the forum, I'll call it...

Question 1: With a full blown skid axle can you imagine any harm coming to my house if I were to lower the ground clearance 6 inches using 6 inch drop axles? The other concern is for the hitch on my truck, in absolutely worst case scenario that would now be the point of failure. would probably rip the whole chunk of steel right off the frame of the truck...

Now for the bathroom I'll be using a recirculating shower with an inline hot water heater, probably controlled by an arduino, the plumbing being in the utility closet. The style of the shower below. The main differences will be the fixtures, for which I will make high flow (because its recirculating lol) soldered copper fixtures. (I LOVE working with copper)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6aa41ec60c2e1157063ab35adf9af2a8.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	5875

I will also be using a low flush (0.8 GPF) toilet, which drains into a 75 gallon backwater tank, into which I am going to install these babies...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	518-GkT-uLL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	5874 <--- NPT spray ball for cleaning tanks, used in the food industry to clean food holding tanks... If they're good enough for a food tank, they're good enough for a poop tank.

The sink may or may not be included in the final house, I already have a sink in the kitchen and that also drains into the tank...

Moving to the kitchen, clothes washing machine, induction cook top, sink, and every scrap of storage I can fit in... If I decide to not include the sink the the bathroom I'll move the wash machine into the bathroom.

Question 2: With 660 gallons of fresh water capacity, should I,
    (a) include a second sink in the bathroom, and recirculate the kitchen sink water through a larger central filtration and sanitation system.
    (b) nix the idea of saving all the water in my kitchen and wash poop off my hands in the kitchen sink.
    (c) recirculate the water anyways because I'm being paranoid and the post filtration intense UVC light is going to blast all life to microscopic ash...

The stairs to the loft will have a 40 or so inch balcony at around 5ft so I can have a desk for my computer screen underneath, and still accommodate a coat closet, and then transition to half tread stairs with more storage. The computer will actually exist in the battery compartment, and I'll run low voltage wires for the buttons and USB ports on the front/back of the PC. This will let me keep my rather large and bulky computer... that has a 2000w power supply for a reason lol.

For the loft it will be a few inches wider than a queen mattress to accommodate a few rails and such, but it will be considerably longer than a queen (full width of the house) to accommodate a flush with the top of the mattress built in trunk, that I can set drinks and such on to sip while I'm goofing off online, or to set my laptop on. (because my PC will need to be off most of the time to save power, which it is anyways now... only use it for rendering or CAD/CAM)

Next is the sitting space, which has, chairs of all things, and even a table! (subject to change) and built into the wall is a small wood stove so I can use my ax to heat instead of the batteries as i may be staying overwinter in some very cold places.

On the other side of the wall there is the sun/tiny garden room. I gotta have my houseplants after all... and if I'm staying in a cannabis friendly state <.< >.> I got a really green thumb is all I'm gonna say...

Extra features: I am an avid home-brewer, so the 660 gallons of water isn't a single tank, and some of those tanks can be used for either fermenting/aging or fresh water storage.
    A little less than half of the water storage is also above the garden room, so I can use that as a ballast tank to balance the trailer for going down the road.
    The windows throughout will have an LCD tint installed controlled by the arduino in place of regular blinds which will be controlled from any one of several rheostats.

Wow ... there's a lot going on here. If you are planning on taking this on the road, you may have a bit of trouble parking it. Certification will be a challenge and many parking places won't take you without it. Something to consider.

Another thought ... moving water down the road can be very hard, especially when you stop. The water just keeps going. That's why tanker trucks are built differently. Maybe an engineering review of your plan will keep you safe and maybe even insured.

Comment

With regard to question 2, I almost went with one kitchen and skipped the bathroom sink. This would have become a problem during meal prep if hand-washing or teeth brushing was needed. I think if I lived alone it would be different, however.

That is a massive water capacity! Any concept of weight when complete? I suppose you could dump the extra and travel empty, but your lifestyle would also dictate.

Looking forward to seeing more pics and let me know if you have any specific design questions.

Comment

Yes, I completely agree that moving water down the road is kinda involved, so I hadn't planed on towing 5,500 lbs of water down the road. Empty (mostly) tanks for travel.

As for the certs I don't really care all that much, The trailer will be registered as a trailer and what my loads are is my business. Insurance is another thing I honestly don't care about. Gambling is outright un-christian right? (lol)

safety... Now that I do care a great deal about, and you're right, a house, especially one that will be in such a harsh environment should be carefully planed and built to withstand the loads exerted on it. Fortunately the loads are somewhat easy to figure out and building standards are established for those loads. I trust the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by CasitaiiTiny View Post
          With regard to question 2, I almost went with one kitchen and skipped the bathroom sink. This would have become a problem during meal prep if hand-washing or teeth brushing was needed. I think if I lived alone it would be different, however.

That is a massive water capacity! Any concept of weight when complete? I suppose you could dump the extra and travel empty, but your lifestyle would also dictate.

Looking forward to seeing more pics and let me know if you have any specific design questions.
          I live alone lol...
          according to my math the dry weight will come in at around 14,000 lbs, add all of my stuff and we are looking at another 1000lbs of just stuff, and the full water capacity is 5,503lbs so that brings my estimated weight to a total of 20,000 lbs... I am including appliances in my dry weight because i consider those to be fixed. So i COULD pull the house with full tanks, but im not going to...

Comment

Just for fun, our engineers Googled DOT water tank transportation rules and wouldn't you know it, there are some ... and they are pretty clear that you cannot just roll down the highway with 5,000lbs of water without a very specially designed and built trailer. The cops will stop you and fines would be big. What about building the tank as a separate structure when you get to where you are going?

Comment

Good to know, fortunately what one can do and what one is permitted to do are different things.

Comment

Perhaps ... but the more you travel on public highways, the more exposed you become to local constables who need extra revenue. It sounds like you are making it easy for them.

Comment

How exactly am I doing that?

Comment

Working...
                  X