New member intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member intro

Im glad to have found this forum. I hope it really takes off. I’ve been extremely interested in Tiny & Alternative Homes in the last year.

Like many of you I watch all the videos and listen to every Tiny Home Podcast I can find. I especially enjoy Ethan Walden’s weekly podcast.

Main reason is my wife & I have been renters our whole lives. We owned our own business for 15 years which took up a lot of our money. Then I had 4 spine surgeries the last was a failed neck surgery. This unfortunately put me out of the workplace. So a Tiny Home is our hope of having our own home.

We worked close together for 15 years and truly like being together, so the closeness of a TH is a plus for us.

We have stayed in 3 different Tiny Homes over 2 extended weekends at Tiny Estates in Elizabethtown PA from 250 to 395 sq feet. And Loved the experience. Each time we got a better feel for what we like in a TH and what we’d change.

Any Tiny Home we end up in will have to have stairs and not a ladder to the loft. The back can’t do the ladders.

I look forward to learning and sharing on this forum. Spiney- Dave

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your back. I'm curious as to how living in a tiny space would help/hinder people with mobility issues/arthritis/etc. I'd imagine it would be a big help as you don't have to move around as much to get what you need or get to where you want to go.

Comment

To me the biggest help will be simplicity after downsizing of stuff. And reduced cleaning, repair, & upkeep vs a conventional average sized home with grass to tend too, etc.

Much less time spent with “Where did I put that?” Less hassle trying to communicate with my wife while separated by multiple floors or 4 rooms and several walls away in a larger home.

A big one for me and my wife will be having counter tops and sinks higher than in our 100 year old home. Bending over to do dishes or prepare food is hard on the back. That’s all I can think of for now.

Comment

Welcome! I'm sorry about your back issues. A tiny house is definitely less work to upkeep and maintain than a larger home.

Comment

Welcome, Spiney!
          Having lived now for 6 months in my 24ft tiny on one level, I agree you'll enjoy less walking, less cleaning.
          But I often find myself wondering where I stored things - how can I lose it in such a tiny house?! The challenge in the early months at least is you keep thinking of better ways to downsize further and put stuff in better places!
          And when you design storage, do be sure to think high rather than low b/c the tendency will be to use all available space but you'll end up bending too much. I'm not very technical but I imagine there are shelves which have those lever type things (like on the back hatch of vans) which could store low but raise for easy access.
          Good luck & happy tiny dreaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy-TinyCircles View Post
            Welcome, Spiney!
            Having lived now for 6 months in my 24ft tiny on one level, I agree you'll enjoy less walking, less cleaning.
            But I often find myself wondering where I stored things - how can I lose it in such a tiny house?! The challenge in the early months at least is you keep thinking of better ways to downsize further and put stuff in better places!
            And when you design storage, do be sure to think high rather than low b/c the tendency will be to use all available space but you'll end up bending too much. I'm not very technical but I imagine there are shelves which have those lever type things (like on the back hatch of vans) which could store low but raise for easy access.
            Good luck & happy tiny dreaming!
            I often find myself wondering how I can lose things in such a small space, too, but it does happen!

Comment

That stinks about your back I wonder if you have considered a ground floor bedroom in your Tiny House? There are many floor-plans that include a first floor bedroom. It was wise to try on some Tiny Homes for extended weekends but I would consider long-term what crawling up into a loft might mean for future wellness. Just a thought. Good luck and we would love to hear what you decide to go with!

Comment

Working...
              X