Hi from Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Kentucky

I've been getting Ethan's email's for a while, and finally decided to join the forum. I'm not presently planning to build a tiny house (though I do hope to have one someday), but I want to apply some of the concepts and ideas to the old farm house we are living in. I have some questions to ask, and thought this would be the best place to do it. I don't think this house actually even qualifies as a small house by the strictest definitions -- including the two enclosed porches (one of which is heated and functions as our utility room) and the attic, it's just over 1,200 s.f. total. But...I need to replace the water heater, and would like to look into tankless propane water heaters. Need a new refrigerator, and could go with either propane or solar. Would like to get the well pump on solar (although it's in the shade of several large black locusts, so I'm going to have to think about where to put the solar panel for it). And so on. I just think there's a lot of information in the Tiny House world that might be useful for repairing and remodeling an old farmhouse like mine! So here I am!

Hi Kathleen Sanderson I admire your ambition
    I agree that there are probably many tiny house aspects that may lend to your project. This forum also has other categories that you may find useful. Any photos of the farmhouse? We don't really have them here in SoCal, so whenever I travel and see something that looks like it was the inspiration to the butter packaging, I get a bit jealous!

Comment

I don't think this place would ever be the inspiration for butter packaging! I'll see if I have any good pictures to put up -- we have 2.68 acres at the end of a short dead-end road, surrounded by a cow pasture (which once went with the house, but they were separated ten or twelve years ago). We can only see one other house from our place. It's a beautiful spot, and we own it free and clear, but the house needs a ton of work. I just bought a 22' travel trailer (an old one, cheap) for my daughter and I to live in while we get some of the work done on the house. The house was built about 1930.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	House.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5894 This is the house -- as you can see, it really isn't anything special. Small, old-fashioned, in need of a lot of work, but not a bad size for myself and my daughter, and fairly functional, or it will be when we are finished fixing it up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerial View Taken Summer 2018.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	5895
      This is an aerial view taken last summer. The green line is a county line -- most of the property is in one county, but that corner is in a different county. As you can see, it's a very private location; our most frequent visitors are the cows in the pasture that surrounds us! We hear coyotes often (I have a livestock guardian dog who keeps them out of our property, or I wouldn't be able to keep my chickens and goats), and sometimes see deer and wild turkeys. Bird watching is also a lot of fun here.

Comment

I love your house! And love the property picture. While it may not fit the "tiny house" definition, there's lots of excellent info on this site and great helpful people. I, too, am an Ethan FOLLOWER and he's the one who led me to this forum. Welcome!

Comment

One of the biggest parts of the Tiny House world is the shift from big house/indoor living to bigger space outdoor life (with less indoor space). Obviously, the climate has a lot to do with it, but Kentucky is mild enough of the year to be a very "tiny living" place to be. Think about "outside" spaces as you build your ranch. Think shade sails and patios and adding trees, gardens and fountains. Two+ acres is a lot of space and you can certainly make it a place that you want to come back to. Maybe have multiple buildings ... sort of a tiny ranch that gets built over time. Would be very interesting to use the county line for a different take on local laws. Let this evolve as you have more time, money and ideas.

Comment

ThinHaus, yes! This is very much in my plans -- I have been studying permaculture just about ever since it came out, and mixing indoor and outdoor spaces is a part of that. Making house and land 'whole' or synergistic. I plan to add a deck to the front (north) side of the house, and a patio in the back, where it's shaded by all those big black locust trees. And one reason I chose Kentucky was for the climate. My oldest daughter lives in SW Ohio, and our move here was to get closer to her (we were in Oregon, four days drive away -- now we are four hours drive from her), but I chose to look south from her place for the warmer climate, which is more amenable for outdoor living at least part of the year. And since we don't have AC, and we do have a shady back yard, even in the hottest weather the yard is an appealing place to be. (I'm probably going to get AC next year, though, because we are having mold issues and need to dehumidify the house somewhat.) I'm also thinking about building a 'tiny house' guest cottage eventually, though the travel trailer I just got will serve that purpose for the next year or two. And I also want to put up a treehouse -- a low platform that my mentally handicapped youngest daughter can safely hang out on, where she'll be in the shade (she's got lupus and vitiligo, and can't be in the sun, which makes it hard for her to be outdoors). We already have the two barns, and a couple of chicken coops and a dog kennel, so the small outbuildings thing is definitely happening.

Comment

Thinking about that county line ... just for fun, maybe dig it out ... 4" wide or so ... and fill it with white crushed stone ... then forget it. People will see it for years to come and wonder what religious or ceremonial function it served when in reality, it was just a line in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinHaus View Post
                Thinking about that county line ... just for fun, maybe dig it out ... 4" wide or so ... and fill it with white crushed stone ... then forget it. People will see it for years to come and wonder what religious or ceremonial function it served when in reality, it was just a line in the sand.
                LOL! I will consider that! It cuts across my orchard, so it might be possible.

Comment

Working...
                X