Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We think 120 sq. ft. is may still be too much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We think 120 sq. ft. is may still be too much.

We think 120 sq. ft. is may still be too much. While not having measured anything in our current set-up, a closet was converted into a kitchen. Eliminating a conventional stove/oven is a good start towards lowering cholesterol, the fry pan will be museumized. This closet will soon be precisely measured, though seems to be between 10 and 14 sq. ft. It sports a dresser, approximately three feet of clothes hanging rod, two small refrigerators, a microwave, toaster, crock-pot, coffee-maker, clothes hamper, small tv-tray-sized table, and top shelf. The pantry goes almost to the ceiling, but can still be reached. One can enter and still perform functions inside this closet kitchen. Go Japan!

Hi MikeL, I'm happy in 102 sq. ft. in my adapted garden shed (non-mobil). Works fine. I do have a 32 sq. ft. screened porch, but I also live with three animals, including a rather dog, and we all get along fine, kev

Comment

Mike,
      Stay in an Air B&B Tiny House rental with the same square footage for a weekend and see if you still feel the same way. I know many people on both sides of the fence, some are happy with their minimal sq ft, and others wish they would have gone a bit larger. So just do what feels right to you. Since a Tiny Home is quite an investment, you may want to do some "boots on the ground" recon first and try one out. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Nanci View Post
        Mike,
        Stay in an Air B&B Tiny House rental with the same square footage for a weekend and see if you still feel the same way. I know many people on both sides of the fence, some are happy with their minimal sq ft, and others wish they would have gone a bit larger. So just do what feels right to you. Since a Tiny Home is quite an investment, you may want to do some "boots on the ground" recon first and try one out. Best of luck!
        I second this philosophy! Why not "try before you buy"? My wife and I have rented numerous tiny houses for vacations and extended weekends and it has given us so many ideas on what we want/need when we start our tiny house build. I have a huge running Word document with notes and pictures from every place that we've rented so that when the time comes to build we'll have a good "foundation" to build on!

Like Nanci said, rent a tiny house or several if you have the opportunity. Personally, I think anyone who just jumps into a tiny house build without ever having even stayed a single night in one is crazy, but that's just me. In addition to Airbnb there are tons of tiny house resorts across the country where they offer rentals so you can also get a feel not only for the tiny house itself but also if you'd enjoy living in a tiny house community setting or if you'd prefer to have yours on your own land with more privacy. I guess the take-away here is, definitely rent before building/buying a tiny house!

Comment

Mike - Size is relative to your needs, not something external to your lifestyle. If I just want to eat, sleep, sit in a chair and go to the bathroom, 120 sq ft is probably way more than enough. However, if I am a weaver and want room for my design table and my loom, and don't want to be outside in 5 below zero weather, I need to accommodate this. Etc. My house will be big - 8'6" x 26' - because it is also my studio.

Comment

Working...
          X