Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to look for tiny house size appliances.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to look for tiny house size appliances.

Early on in the beginning stages of the tiny house movement I was somewhat amused by comments I read in various places about tiny houses. It seemed that a number of people were wondering where they could get appliances that could fit into the somewhat small spaces of a tiny house. I was amused because I thought the answer to that question should have been somewhat obvious but evidently it wasn't for some people. So where do you look for smaller sized appliances? At RV and Marine supply stores of course. Besides being smaller appliances designed for use in RV's and boats are often more robust in some respects than ones made for a more static environment. There can be a surprising amount of vibration generated when a trailer travels down the road. That is not so much of an issue for infrequently moved tiny houses but it could be an issue for ones that are moved more frequently. A lot of tiny houses now days come with full size appliances that are designed for use in a house on a foundation. I have wondered if that could occasionally be a problem for some types of appliances.

I've had some luck finding smaller appliances on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist! It does take some frequent searching depending on where you live / size of city, but I have seen RV stoves and mini fridges (purchased a 4.0 cu ft Magic Chef for $60).

IKEA also has a TILLREDA induction stove ($50) and mini fridges. And when in doubt, there's always Home Depot!

Comment

Originally posted by malconium View Post
      ... At RV and Marine supply stores of course....
      Also, for small refrigerators, truck fridges designed for Semis. They are 12 volt, and can deal well with road vibration. I have a Dometic truck fridge in my off-road teardrop that has survived some horrendously bad roads.
      Last edited by Doug; 08-06-2019, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X