Paint - Latex verses oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint - Latex verses oil

Latex, of course. However, back in the day, (55 years ago?) when I worked construction as summer jobs, it was oil. Oil paint flows. It gets into crevices. It flows into imperfections. It is wonderful in this regard. Latex, on the other hand, can resemble pudding, especially the "one coat primer finish paint in one". It doesn't flow. It bridges crevices and imperfections. It dries on your brush, especially if you are cutting in and are as slow as I. But, there is a solution!

Yes, you can thin with water, but there are a number of products now specifically engineered to deal with latex pudding disorder. One of the more common is Flotrol. It claims, falsely, that it will make latex paint flow like oil. Not. But, it certainly makes it better, and does help with the drying on the brush problem. If you were unaware of Flotrol and its ilk, try one of them
    Last edited by Doug; 09-02-2019, 12:45 PM.

We cannot get oil paint in Canada any more but my favorite used to be melamine paint. The new formula is not as hard but it is thinner than latex and that may be an option for cracks and crevices!

Comment

Working...
    X