Multi-Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-Functionality

How many different things in the house can I feasibly make multi-functional and still be comfortable? Realistically, am I going to want to collapse and reassemble the table every time I need a workspace? Maybe not, but I know that the hidden-storage-type couches and chairs and ottomans are essential! Everyone says that storage is the key to success in tiny homes. A couch whose cushions lift to reveal cubbies or compartments inside of the staircase are concepts I cannot wait to involve in my build!

I think this will probably vary from one person to the next, but there are a few things that I mind more than others. I really don't have a problem with pulling out the bed at night and tucking it away in the morning, but for some reason the thought of needing to set up a table every time I need to use it seems much less pleasant! Perhaps because the bed is a habit borne of routine for me that makes it seem like less of a big deal. I imagine that if I was used to setting up a table every day at routine times, it would seem like less of a hassle to have to do so. You probably just get used to doing whatever needs to be done!

We don't have storage in our stairs, which has always made me sad, but our couch has a very large hidden compartment, and I love it!

Comment

Great Topic for Discussion! This is my favorite thing about Tiny living: the multi-functionality of your living space. For me, I would not want to move my bed everyday, unless I could move it back and fourth like opening a drawer. I guess my biggest fear is that I'll be doing something in the bed area and I'll have to put all of that stuff away in order to bring the bed out. There is a couple that lives in a Van conversion on Youtube and they have some great space saving ideas when it comes to tables and hiding certain compartments.

Here is the link to their youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwh...SUf1GVFVk0nP8w

They've been doing this for awhile now and they have some really great insight on what it's like to live tiny with minimum space. I really feel they've thought of everything.

Good luck!!

Comment

On the topic of stuff that goes into a tiny house, remember that it adds weight and "rattle factor" for the towing part of the journey. Adding storage and infrastructure after you are settled makes the most sense, but remember that moving later might require taking things out and reassembling at the other end.

Comment

Multi purpose furniture can definitely be both a hassle and a convenience! One of the biggest changes I have had to make since living tiny is turning my couch to a bed every night. I am glad that I do not have to climb up in a loft to go to sleep, but having to convert from bed to couch every morning is definitely a learning curve.

Comment

For us it was less about multi-function and more about space saving. I found when we lived in our RV multi-function furniture was actually annoying for us. For example the table turned into a bed. That made the table very unstable and every time you want to rest you have to clean on and below the table and remove anything you had sitting on the table such as flowers, computer, etc. In our RV the benches served as storage. so every time we wanted to get at out child's homeschool supplies we would have to take apart the benches. It was a huge pain! In our tiny house we focused more on accessibility and keeping things as open as possible. So we have an Adirondack Couch and a table and chairs that folds down. Our library is in the stairs for easy access. The one thing I don't like is our homeschool storage although accessible, is high up, so me being at 5'3'' I have to grab a chair every time we do homeschool.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5771.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	5476

Name:	IMG_9714.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	5474

Name:	kitchen tiny house.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	5475

Comment

Not currently living in a tiny house, but we plan to be able to convert the living area couch into a guest bed. Our living area will also be where we eat when we want to eat at a table, which we never do now as it is.lol. I think that area has the most availability of a multi-use space for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tinyhousebigmoment View Post
                For us it was less about multi-function and more about space saving. I found when we lived in our RV multi-function furniture was actually annoying for us. For example the table turned into a bed. That made the table very unstable and every time you want to rest you have to clean on and below the table and remove anything you had sitting on the table such as flowers, computer, etc. In our RV the benches served as storage. so every time we wanted to get at out child's homeschool supplies we would have to take apart the benches. It was a huge pain! In our tiny house we focused more on accessibility and keeping things as open as possible. So we have an Adirondack Couch and a table and chairs that folds down. Our library is in the stairs for easy access. The one thing I don't like is our homeschool storage although accessible, is high up, so me being at 5'3'' I have to grab a chair every time we do homeschool.

Name:	IMG_5771.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	5476

Name:	IMG_9714.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	5474

Name:	kitchen tiny house.jpg