Clear All

Legalizing Tiny Homes in your Community

https://www.mindfulminimalistmama.co...ze-tiny-houses

Click image for larger version

Name:	5611FAE1-4BC6-491E-A591-953F758F126D.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	5321

This is of special interest to me because I want to retire in my tiny house rather than moving it around on a regular basis. I would prefer to retire in Oregon to be near my daughter who lives in Brookings. Gold Beach area is also a consideration. It is frustrating to see all the promotions of tiny houses without mention of where they can be legally located. Mine is a small 140sf tiny house on wheels. I think my best bet is to find a property owner who will let me rent a section of their property for a reasonable amount. Of course, I would need an RV hook up for electricity and a hose for water. No need for septic as I use composting toilet. So my huge questions is: WHERE?

Comment

You might consider making a post on Craigslist for a spot in the area you are interested in. Oregon is tiny home friendly, but different communities have different rules and regs about Tiny homes or ADU's and you want to be sure it's going to be ok. Be sure when you get responses to verify that neighbors will be ok with your landlord having you there.

We have a neighbor who didn't like our storage containers on our property (rural, zoned agricultural, need them to store building materials and equipment), because it spoiled his view - not true - and he called in a complaint to our building department. We had to remove 3 of the containers. All our other neighbors are great. It only takes one to make things more challenging.

Hang in there, check with the building/planning departments in the areas you are looking at, visit tiny home shows/gatherings/festivals in Oregon, and check online for tiny home communities.

Comment

Thank you so much. These are very helpful suggestions.

Comment

There are also multiple tiny house communities as well as tiny house listings/postings now that provide a lot more places and ideas of where to live safely and legally out there. There are also people all around who can have accessory dwelling units and RVs in their driveways and backyards. The world is your oyster--try googling tiny house communities/tiny house listings. Facebook marketplace may also provide another entirely different source of landing opportunities.

Comment

The most useful site I have found to find parking is www.searchtibyhousevillages.com

Comment

Thanks so much. I'm feeling more optimistic!

Comment

Working...
              X