Certifications, Whew! Which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certifications, Whew! Which one?

I have been debating numerous certifications for my tiny house build. So far I have seen RVIA, NOAH, and the certification with Pacific West. I've been noticing that the intended use of your tiny house matters lot when it comes to choosing a certification for your home as well as the jurisdiction that you plan to live in. For me, RVIA is not nearly as important as NOAH based on my jurisdiction's rules. IRC Appendix Q is whole other code/regulation that affects which certification you want, who supports it/abides by it.

Can you help a fellow dreamer out and give your experiences?

Hi Nikki! I work with NOAH and may be able to help you decide which Certification is best for you. RVIA is well known and is accepted a lot of places for financing and placement however, an RV Certification is only meant for part-time habitation. RVIA is a great certification if you are a large manufacturer but not so much if you build a few a year. RVIA is $5K initiation fee to sign up, over $2K for annual dues and they require you to purchase $3,800 worth of Seals, which is just not feasible for most folks. In addition to overcoming the financial commitment required to attain the RV Certification you also have to not care if your specific Unit doesn't ever get looked at by an inspector. RVIA does not necessarily see every unit, they only inspect whatever is on the lot/line when they visit your facility every 90 days. PWA is a certifying agency. PWA tries to inspect every 10th unit. So, not unlike RVIA, PWA is a great organization, however, they inspect the Manufacturer not each unit. And after carefully vetting the third-party inspectors of tiny houses on wheels, Foremost insurance determined they will only insure RVIA and NOAH Certified Tiny Houses on Wheels. I know all of this certification/code stuff is overwhelming for most everybody, that is why we have created a comprehensive inspection process that gives consumers their best fighting chance when it comes to placement for their Tiny Home. I know its a lot to take in, but be reassured that with a NOAH Membership you get FREE consultations with one of our Certified Professional Inspectors, so for example, if you are at Home Depot and you are not sure what to buy to perform a pressure test on your lines, call us and we will help you get the answers you need! I hope this helps and I wish you all the luck!

Comment

I feel like I must tell you that PWA has been around for many years. PWA and NOAH have comparably priced DIYer programs. We have "A" Rated customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanci View Post
        Hi Nikki! I work with NOAH and may be able to help you decide which Certification is best for you. RVIA is well known and is accepted a lot of places for financing and placement however, an RV Certification is only meant for part-time habitation. RVIA is a great certification if you are a large manufacturer but not so much if you build a few a year. RVIA is $5K initiation fee to sign up, over $2K for annual dues and they require you to purchase $3,800 worth of Seals, which is just not feasible for most folks. In addition to overcoming the financial commitment required to attain the RV Certification you also have to not care if your specific Unit doesn't ever get looked at by an inspector. RVIA does not necessarily see every unit, they only inspect whatever is on the lot/line when they visit your facility every 90 days. PWA is a certifying agency. PWA tries to inspect every 10th unit. So, not unlike RVIA, PWA is a great organization, however, they inspect the Manufacturer not each unit. And after carefully vetting the third-party inspectors of tiny houses on wheels, Foremost insurance determined they will only insure RVIA and NOAH Certified Tiny Houses on Wheels. I know all of this certification/code stuff is overwhelming for most everybody, that is why we have created a comprehensive inspection process that gives consumers their best fighting chance when it comes to placement for their Tiny Home. I know its a lot to take in, but be reassured that with a NOAH Membership you get FREE consultations with one of our Certified Professional Inspectors, so for example, if you are at Home Depot and you are not sure what to buy to perform a pressure test on your lines, call us and we will help you get the answers you need! I hope this helps and I wish you all the luck!
        Thank you for the detailed and informative reply Nanci! It's great to have such a knowledgeable resource from the National Organization of Alternative Housing (NOAH) available to address complex questions like NikkiVIntl posted.

Comment

Working...
        X