Victoria BC allows backyard "garden suites"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victoria BC allows backyard "garden suites"

Interesting article. Victoria currently allows "garden suites" in back yards and is moving towards allowing movable tiny homes.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/victori...bNstI-2EaBtxns

My current focus is on affordable housing for older folks. I wonder if such garden suites, or backyard tiny homes, would be one way to care for elderly parents while maintaining a level of privacy for both the family and the parents. Many older people need just a little help--maybe with errands, grocery shopping, etc. which could easily be folded into the family's regular routine. What do others think?

Comment

At 80+ my grandma was unable to look after herself and so my parents build a small 7/10 foot room for her at their property, it had all the basic amenities attached, it allowed my parents to be able to tend to her needs and at the same time gave room for privacy for both the families involved.
      Last edited by kichuchar; 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

When knees and hips are arthritic, a small room is a blessing. Also, large open spaces present a falling danger for many older people. So a tiny house or room with amenities seems ideal. Features, such as grab bars, even accommodation for a lift device at the bed, can all be built in--and that would probably cost less than adding them to a regular house.

Comment

Originally posted by oldstnick View Post
          My current focus is on affordable housing for older folks. I wonder if such garden suites, or backyard tiny homes, would be one way to care for elderly parents while maintaining a level of privacy for both the family and the parents. Many older people need just a little help--maybe with errands, grocery shopping, etc. which could easily be folded into the family's regular routine. What do others think?
          I agree with your ideas and? especially the importance of everyone having their personal space but being close enough to help or be helped as need be.
          i watched my Mom downsize from indepenent living to assisted living and each time altho it was not an easy transition, she became very content in her small space and found ways (despite increasingly limited physical, material & at times mental resources) to reach out and help others.
          I think the backyard set up can work but I'm also interested in seeing tiny communities which I think will provide even more sustainable company, support, services, etc than 1 family property with 2 units.

Comment

I'd love to see a community! If I were younger, I'd organize one, but I simply don't have the energy anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X