Tiny Home Communities, Western NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny Home Communities, Western NC

Five years ago I sold/got rid of almost everything I owned, rented a car since I only had bikes up in IL & headed toward a place I found on craigslist that would rent me living space & save half of what I was paying in IL. I had been researching tiny homes for several years & had discovered there's a big following in North Carolina. Still have another year or two until I save up enough to build a THOW with no loans using mostly salvaged materials. Even if I had enough money to buy land to place my lonely TH, my goal is to be part of a community with like-minded people: minimalists, sharing tools, etc, maybe even a car (altho' I have my own), having group meals (occasionally or often, whichever), collectively working on a community garden, etc. That's the vision, which I believe can happen within a few years.

I live about an hour west of Asheville and am always looking for other TH enthusiasts.

Originally posted by gingervista View Post
    Five years ago I sold/got rid of almost everything I owned, rented a car since I only had bikes up in IL & headed toward a place I found on craigslist that would rent me living space & save half of what I was paying in IL. I had been researching tiny homes for several years & had discovered there's a big following in North Carolina. Still have another year or two until I save up enough to build a THOW with no loans using mostly salvaged materials. Even if I had enough money to buy land to place my lonely TH, my goal is to be part of a community with like-minded people: minimalists, sharing tools, etc, maybe even a car (altho' I have my own), having group meals (occasionally or often, whichever), collectively working on a community garden, etc. That's the vision, which I believe can happen within a few years.

I live about an hour west of Asheville and am always looking for other TH enthusiasts.
    You're definitely in a good area when it comes to tiny house community options. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 different tiny house communities much like what you've described you're hoping to find and they're all roughly 30 minutes south of Asheville. The first one is definitely the type of property/community you've described and caters to THOWs. The other three may not be your cup of tea exactly but they are tiny/small house communities and I know "The Meadows" is also THOWs friendly. Here are each of them, I hope you find these links useful:

1. Acony Bell Tiny Home Village in Mills River, NC
    2. The Village in Flat Rock, NC
    3. The Hamlet in Flat Rock, NC
    4. The Meadows in Flat Rock, NC

Comment

Thanks, Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by gingervista View Post
        Thanks, Chuck.
        No problem at all!

Comment

We had an opportunity to visit Acony Bell just a couple of months ago. Very nice place and very nice people. They have several THOW for rent for folks who want to 'try out' the lifestyle. (You do have to make an appointment if you just want a tour).

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSoutherner View Post
            We had an opportunity to visit Acony Bell just a couple of months ago. Very nice place and very nice people. They have several THOW for rent for folks who want to 'try out' the lifestyle. (You do have to make an appointment if you just want a tour).
            That's great to hear from a first person perspective about Acony Bell Tiny Home Village as I've never actually been there personally. I came across an article on-line some time ago talking about this project and it sounded like the perfect environment for most tiny house owners or even those still exploring the idea since they offer rentals as you mentioned.

I've said it in several posts but the whole "try before you buy" is a must do in my book. My wife and I have rented numerous tiny houses for vacations or long weekends just so we can get a feel for features that we like and those that we don't like. I actually have huge on-going Word document tracking our tiny house rental stays so that when we start our tiny house build we'll have extensive notes from our rental stays!

Did you have an opportunity to spend enough time there to know if it has a real "community" feel like it seems from reading their website?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              Did you have an opportunity to spend enough time there to know if it has a real "community" feel like it seems from reading their website?
              We have chatted with one of the co-owners quite a bit and he is really cool and down to earth.
              We found them because we were vacationing nearby and I caught sight of a small sign that made us double-back to check things out. The property is gated so we couldn't go inside, which I thought was a great feature! We always have 'looky-loos' stopping to take pictures of our house; it's not a big deal but sometimes you don't need people outside documenting your life.
              We made an appointment and not only arranged to stay in one of their rentals but we got the grand tour. It's a beautiful location. Their Phase 1 is full and they are almost finished with Phase 2. There is a clubhouse for gatherings and they have community gardens. Everyone we met was on their way home from work, etc. but they were friendly and chatted some. Most people were getting home to walk the dogs and start dinner; so it was a the normal mid-week pace of life. A few are retirees. I was impressed at how they encourage folks to express their own style; there aren't heaps of unnecessary rules to make sure everything is cookie-cutter perfect. They have basic rules for safety and overall tidiness but it was a really nice vibe. I can tell they have really invested a lot into the idea and the execution. They didn't cut corners either. Everything is really well done (properly). Not makeshift. Environmentally conscious and very well planned.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSoutherner View Post

We have chatted with one of the co-owners quite a bit and he is really cool and down to earth.
                We found them because we were vacationing nearby and I caught sight of a small sign that made us double-back to check things out. The property is gated so we couldn't go inside, which I thought was a great feature! We always have 'looky-loos' stopping to take pictures of our house; it's not a big deal but sometimes you don't need people outside documenting your life.
                We made an appointment and not only arranged to stay in one of their rentals but we got the grand tour. It's a beautiful location. Their Phase 1 is full and they are almost finished with Phase 2. There is a clubhouse for gatherings and they have community gardens. Everyone we met was on their way home from work, etc. but they were friendly and chatted some. Most people were getting home to walk the dogs and start dinner; so it was a the normal mid-week pace of life. A few are retirees. I was impressed at how they encourage folks to express their own style; there aren't heaps of unnecessary rules to make sure everything is cookie-cutter perfect. They have basic rules for safety and overall tidiness but it was a really nice vibe. I can tell they have really invested a lot into the idea and the execution. They didn't cut corners either. Everything is really well done (properly). Not makeshift. Environmentally conscious and very well planned.
                Wow! That sounds like paradise to me. Truly the type of place I'd like to find here in Colorado. We have a few places here but I don't think we have anything that quite stacks up to that. But we do have "Colorado". . Seriously though, I lived in North Carolina for several years both on the coast and also about an hour west of Charlotte but I wasn't a big fan of the humidity nor the mosquitoes.

Comment

Acony Bell is where I am planning on parking my tiny house, hopefully at the end of September. I was very impressed with the place when I did a tour last year, but wasn't ready at that point. It is fairly close to my workplace too, so will work nicely until I retire in a few years (hopefully!). There is also another tiny home community called Lake Walk Community in Greer, SC...by Lake Cunningham. I have heard there are going to be a couple more communities in the general locale too. Oh and there is another one currently being developed in eastern TN. That one is somewhat different, but the deal is you pay a $6000 deposit and once the community is open (still being developed) you get two years free rent and for the third year it is $200 per month. Tiny Home builder is developing land they own around their facility. First phase is sold out, they are taking deposits for the second phase with two more in the planning stages.

Comment

Working...
                  X