Tiny House Home Repairs and Renovations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny House Home Repairs and Renovations

When you have paid someone to build your tiny house for you, what do you do about home repairs or even major renovations? Some experience repairs that need to be done, but without building experience, are unable or afraid to do them on their own. Or maybe you have lived in your tiny long enough to merit a renovation. What would you do if you needed major work done and you didn't build the house yourself?
    (Without getting into the pros and cons of self-builds vs contracted builds.)

A lot of it probably depends on what point the repairs need done and whether it is normal wear and tear or if it's the result of poor craftsmanship on the part of the builder. If the home was recently built under contract, I would probably contact the builder and ask them to fix whatever was broken. (Our home actually came with a one-year warranty, though we never needed to use it.)

We haven't needed any major repairs done, but we have replaced a few appliances and fixtures over the years, and usually we either do it ourselves or have my dad do it since he is a pretty experienced handyman. I think if we didn't have him available, though, and we didn't know anyone else personally who could help us, I would just look for well recommended local professionals and not necessarily go back to the original builder.

Comment

We found that our builder had offered us 30 days to find any issues with the build; if something wasn't right they'd send out a guy to fix it. This was OK for the issue with the toilet not flushing and other minor issues. They also provide a 10 year home warranty through a third party; but those are not that valuable unless it turns out to be a major issue with the house.
      I'm so glad you mentioned appliances. We had some real eye opening experiences with appliances and buying extended warranties! (Hint: rethink that strategy if you live rural).

I think you bring to mind another great aspect of Tiny House living. Even if you are a novice to home repairs, you can really learn a lot from living and working on your home. Things are smaller and less expensive (in most cases) to repair or repurchase. I think we become bolder in our efforts to keep down costs and become more self-sufficient when the problem has a manageable size. If you didn't grow up building stuff, working on engines or farming you might feel like so many others have an advantage. But if you are from a corporate background you might have the skillset of "Research and Development" or "Project Management" under your belt. Use those skills to your advantage and 'project manage' your way out of the challenge.

I think it's the best feeling when you can MacGyver your way out of a problem!
      Last edited by NorthernSoutherner; 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Repairs my biggest issue. I was only able to afford and RV as my tiny home. Maybe not the best option, as repairs skyrocket in costs. I am disabled and not able to be a DIY. If you can DIY I think that is what makes it. Not only is the labor less , but you will care about how well and job is done and do your best work. I have been fixing up a WIP and as I can hardly ever do anything, I end up limited to painting a sq foot of the wall at a time-I figure that will take years to finish a wall. My area in SE AZ has nothing in the way of good help and have to try to make do w/ what limited help I can find. A rural area also makes a difference. Friends have made a big difference in making rather than breaking the situation.

Comment

Working...
        X