Going Tiny in a Rainy Climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Tiny in a Rainy Climate

Is anyone else living tiny in western Washington (or anywhere else) where it rains more than half the year? What do you do to maintain your sanity during the winter months? Especially if you have kids?

This last winter seemed so long to me, even though it wasn't particularly wet (which is actually unfortunate), and I'm so ready for all the nice weather that's been rolling in lately.

Hello fellow Washingtonian! Yes, I live in Olympia in a tiny home, but no children. Just me and my cat 🐈. I also work part time, which means I’m away quite a bit. I feel for you with kids at home and not sure I could do what you’re doing, but I have neighbors who do. They also home school the kids, which amazes me. I’d be looking for any and all activities, including anything away from home, like the library. I have no doubt that your family is much more connected than most and you are building precious memories. Congratulations and I wish you the best.

Comment

That region is great for water catchment systems! As far as the kids being indoors for a majority of time during the winter, is there an indoor community facility nearby? Maybe getting some energy out playing basketball or swimming at an indoor facility on a regular basis would help wear them out an allow mom to keep her sanity intact. I have found that having a regular schedule for reading & learning, exercise, chores, meals, playtime etc seems to help. They know when to expect what and you won't always be needing to invent activities for them. Hooray summer, bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by crystalvernon View Post
        Hello fellow Washingtonian! Yes, I live in Olympia in a tiny home, but no children. Just me and my cat 🐈. I also work part time, which means I’m away quite a bit. I feel for you with kids at home and not sure I could do what you’re doing, but I have neighbors who do. They also home school the kids, which amazes me. I’d be looking for any and all activities, including anything away from home, like the library. I have no doubt that your family is much more connected than most and you are building precious memories. Congratulations and I wish you the best.
        Thank you! We do spend quite a bit of time at the library in the winter. We homeschool as well, and it's pretty intense sometimes! Our older daughter will be taking a dance class at a local homeschool center this year, so I'm hoping that will help add a little excitement and structure to our week.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanci View Post
          That region is great for water catchment systems! As far as the kids being indoors for a majority of time during the winter, is there an indoor community facility nearby? Maybe getting some energy out playing basketball or swimming at an indoor facility on a regular basis would help wear them out an allow mom to keep her sanity intact. I have found that having a regular schedule for reading & learning, exercise, chores, meals, playtime etc seems to help. They know when to expect what and you won't always be needing to invent activities for them. Hooray summer, bring it on!
          We have a local indoor playground of sorts, and we've talked about purchasing a membership. We've looked into the local YMCA as well. I wish we had more free indoor activities around here, but most everything costs money! Getting all that energy out is definitely sanity-saving for me, otherwise they're bouncing off the walls!

Comment

Working...
          X